Heavy rain washes out Somerset-Redbacks CLT20 tieOctober 1st, 2011 - 10:48 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, Oct 1 (IANS) The Group B match between South Australian Redbacks (SAR) and English county Somerset in the Champions League Twenty20 (CLT20) at the Chinnaswamy Stadium here was Saturday abandoned, as not a ball could be bowled due to heavy rains.
Though sky was overcast since late afternoon, sudden downpour in the city centre for over an hour forced the organisers to delay the start first by an hour to 5 p.m. and subsequently to 6 p.m.
With no respite from rain gods later, the match was abandoned as no play was possible on a wet pitch and sluggish outfield.
As per the rules, both teams were awarded one point each though Redbacks skipper Michael Klinger won the toss and chose to field. This was the first washed out match in the tournament.
A confident Somerset came into the match riding on three wins, including two from qualifiers and a group match against Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) in Hyderabad Sep 25. They have three points from two games.
Redbacks too have three points from three matches, two from a win over KKR in Hyderabad Sep 27 after they lost to Warriors at the same ground Sep 26.
The Mumbai Indians-Cape Cobras match in Group A late Friday was also called off due to heavy and continuous rain soon after the former completed innings with 176 for five wickets.
– Indo-Asian News Service
- Warriors set 156-run target for Knight Riders - Oct 02, 2011
- Frenzied fans turn up to back RCB in eliminator - Oct 05, 2011
- RCB's Gayle storm blows away Somerset in must-win tie - Oct 04, 2011
- Rain-hit Mumbai-Cobras match abandoned - Oct 01, 2011
- Champions League T20 matches shifted to Hyderabad, Bangalore - Sep 20, 2011
- Knight Riders declared winner as rain-hit CLT20 tie abandoned - Oct 02, 2011
- Rain delays match between two Royals - Apr 19, 2011
- Champions League T20 scheduled from Sep 23 - Jun 30, 2011
- Mumbai set Cobras 177-run target in rain-hit tie - Sep 30, 2011
- RCB knock out Redbacks in thriller to enter CLT20 semis - Oct 06, 2011
- Fans come in droves to cheer home team RCB - Oct 07, 2011
- KKR vs Deccan Chargers match at Kolkata washed out - Apr 25, 2012
- Heavy rain holds up Bangalore CL T20 tie - Oct 01, 2011
- Knight Riders defeat Challengers in must win game - Sep 30, 2011
- RCB-Rajasthan Royal's match abandoned due to rain - Apr 20, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,