Heavy rain hits Vizag; traffic, flights affectedMay 20th, 2011 - 7:03 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, May 20 (IANS) Heavy rain Friday inundated low-lying localities in Andhra Pradesh’s Visakhapatnam and nearby areas, disrupting normal life and affecting traffic, including several flights.
Two flights from Hyderabad to Visakhapatnam returned without landing in the coastal city due to poor visibility while flights from Kolkatta and Mumbai were diverted to Hyderabad and Chennai.
As many as seven flights from Vizag to other destinations were cancelled as heavy rains lashed the city since morning under the impact of low pressure along the coast.
The city received 8 cm rainfall since morning.
All three north coastal districts of Visakhapatnam, Vijayanagaram and Srikakulam were receiving heavy rains, accompanied by strong gales.
According to officials, the gales caused widespread damage to mango crop in the region.
Visakhapatnam cyclone warning centre has forecast more rains in the costal region over the next 24 hours.
- Heavy rains lash coastal Andhra as Cyclone Laila nears the shore - May 19, 2010
- Heavy rain, gale in south coastal Andhra - Dec 30, 2011
- Rains continue in coastal Andhra - Dec 31, 2011
- Andhra to forcibly evacuate people from coastal areas (Lead) - May 19, 2010
- 'Cyclone Laila' cripples life in coastal Andhra, Tamil Nadu - May 19, 2010
- Rains batter Andhra Pradesh - Sep 04, 2012
- Heavy rains wreak havoc in coastal Andhra - Nov 01, 2010
- Andhra hastens to protect coastal villages from Cyclone Laila - May 19, 2010
- Heavy rains claim 16 lives in Andhra - Nov 02, 2010
- Cyclone Thane kills five in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry (Second Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Navy rescues 11 fishermen, Andhra coast on high alert (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- Andhra faces cyclone threat, 16 killed in rains (Lead) - Nov 02, 2010
- Andhra escapes cyclone fury (Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Widespread rains in Andhra revive farmers' hopes - Jul 21, 2012
- Coastal Andhra braces for cyclone 'Thane' (Lead) - Dec 28, 2011
Tags: andhra pradesh, coastal city, coastal districts, cyclone, flights, heavy rain, heavy rains, kolkatta, localities, mumbai, nearby areas, poor visibility, rainfall, strong gales, traffic, visakhapatnam, warning centre