Heavy rain disrupts Amarnath pilgrim’s movementJune 25th, 2012 - 1:27 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, June 25 (IANS) The movement of pilgrims from north Kashmir’s Baltal base camp towards the Amarnath cave shrine was stopped Monday due to heavy rains along the way, even though the traditional puja was performed inside the shrine.
“More than 10,000 Yatris (pilgrims) have been stopped at Dumail, three kilometers ahead of Baltal base camp, as it is raining heavily along the 14-km long trek from the base camp to the Holy Cave”, a senior paramilitary Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) officer told IANS on the phone from Baltal.
He, however, confirmed that around 60 pilgrims had reached the holy cave Monday morning using helicopter services, which are available for the pilgrims in Baltal.
Nearly 2,500 pilgrims were allowed to move towards the cave shrine from south Kashmir’s Pahalgam base camp Monday morning.
Pilgrims using the Pahalgam trek take four days to reach the Cave, while those using the Baltal route return back the same day after the ‘Darshan’ (obeisance) inside the cave.
The 13,000 feet high Himalayan cave houses an ice stalagmite structure believed by the devotees to symbolize the powers of Lord Shiva.
State governor, N.N. Vohra who is also the chairman of the Shri Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB) performed the traditional Puja inside the cave Monday morning. Vohra has been personally supervising the smooth conduct of the Yatra.
Unusual wet weather this year has posed serious problems for the authorities as heavy accumulation of snow and slippery conditions along the twin treks have impeded efforts of trek clearance.
- Weather improves, Amarnath pilgrims allowed towards shrine (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- 12,000 pilgrims arrive for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 24, 2012
- Thousands trek to Amarnath cave for prayers (Lead) - Jun 29, 2011
- Bad weather halts Amarnath Yatra (Lead) - Jul 03, 2011
- 18,000 pilgrims proceed towards Amarnath cave shrine - Jun 30, 2011
- Amarnath Yatra interrupted due to bad weather - Jul 04, 2010
- 600,000 pilgrims perform Amarnath Yatra - Jul 25, 2011
- Thousands reach Kashmir base camps for Amarnath Yatra (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- Around 500,000 perform Amarnath Yatra - Jul 16, 2012
- Last leg of Amarnath yatra - chhari mubarak leaves Srinagar - Aug 08, 2011
- 100 post offices to register for Amarnath yatra: SASB - Apr 30, 2012
- Governor reviews Amarnath pilgrimage facilities - Jul 17, 2012
- Amarnath Yatra interrupted due to bad weather - Jul 22, 2010
- 15,000 pilgrims start this year's Amarnath Yatra (Lead) - Jul 01, 2010
- Over hundred thousand perform Amarnath Yatra in seven days - Jul 05, 2011
Tags: amarnath cave, cave houses, crpf, heavy rain, helicopter services, holy cave, long trek, lord shiva, north kashmir, obeisance, pahalgam, reserve police, sasb, shrine board, slippery conditions, smooth conduct, south kashmir, state governor, vohra, wet weather