Heart patients to get a new drugAugust 29th, 2008 - 11:42 am ICT by IANS
London, Aug 29 (IANS) Researchers are developing a new drug that will treat heart disease and angina without aggravating any underlying respiratory problems.The University of Nottingham researchers have already developed a molecule that is much more effective at discriminating between the heart and lungs than current drugs, EurekaAlert reported Friday.
Researchers will be carrying out further studies to improve the molecule to ensure that it is able to target the heart cells more effectively - leaving the lungs untouched.
Jill Baker from the University’s School of Biomedical Sciences, who is leading the research, said: “Once developed, this molecule will cause much less wheezing and shortness of breath and should be able to be given safely to the hundreds of thousands of patients with both heart and lung diseases”.
Doctors are extremely wary of prescribing beta-blockers for patients suffering from heart disease and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), which aggravate respiratory symptoms. COPD causes the destruction of lung tissue and increased mucus production.
- Beta-blockers 'linked to benefits in patients with lung disease' - May 25, 2010
- Protein shows promise in treating smoker's diseases - Jan 16, 2012
- Controlled oxygen therapy slashes death rate among COPD patients - Oct 22, 2010
- 'Indians increasingly unaware of lung diseases' - Jun 26, 2012
- Human lungs can sweep out intruders - Aug 26, 2012
- Scientists simulate common cold virus in 3D for better drugs - Jul 17, 2012
- Novel drug may benefit cystic fibrosis patients - Dec 18, 2010
- Novel finding could lead to new therapies for asthma, COPD - Jan 28, 2011
- New therapeutic target for asthma, other lung disorders identified - Apr 18, 2011
- Long-term air pollution exposure 'ups risk of severe COPD' - Oct 20, 2010
- Prevent gum disease to keep lungs healthy - Jan 19, 2011
- New drug could reduce heart failure risk by 25pct - Aug 30, 2010
- Four novel biomarkers that may help diagnose asthma, COPD identified - Mar 12, 2011
- Inhaled corticosteroid therapy helps reduce pneumonia mortality - Apr 16, 2011
- Soy protects lungs from chronic disease - Jun 29, 2009