Healthy people more willing to take drugs to enhance traitsAugust 23rd, 2008 - 2:43 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Aug 23 (IANS) People’s willingness to take a pill or drug depends on whether the trait the drug promises to boost is they one they consider desirable.Authors Jason Riis (Harvard Business School), Joseph P. Simmons (Yale University) and Geoffrey P. Goodwin (Princeton University) examined the reasons why healthy people take drugs to improve concentration or anti-depressants to lift their moods.
People don’t prefer using pills to enhance a trait they believe to be fundamental to their identity or nature. But other traits like concentration are more acceptable targets.
During a series of studies, the researchers found that the most common reason participants said why they wouldn’t want to take a pill was because it would “fundamentally change who I am”.
Not surprisingly, the marketing message did affect participants’ responses. When researchers tested different advertising taglines, they found that participants responded more positively to a drug promising to help them become “more than who you are”, than one that would allow them to become “who you are”.
“Together, this research converges to highlight the importance of identity expression and preservation in governing the choices and lives of consumers,” wrote the authors.
The study was published in the Journal of Consumer Research.
- Healthy people take pills to enhance traits not fundamental to their identity - Aug 23, 2008
- Prozac 'helps stroke patients recover from paralysis' - Jan 10, 2011
- Don't bank on 'wisdom of crowds' to win bets in football matches - Nov 16, 2010
- Why do people pay so much for celebrity items? - Feb 15, 2011
- Human creativity may have evolved as a way to help parents bond with kids - Nov 16, 2010
- Anti-depressants sound warning bells for heart health - Dec 01, 2010
- 'Genes key to self-control, sociability' - May 17, 2012
- Anti-depressants doing more harm than good: Study - Apr 25, 2012
- Pills to bust blues raise heart attack risk - Dec 14, 2010
- Antidepressant use linked to thicker arteries - Apr 03, 2011
- Blood test to tell whether anti-depressants work - Dec 16, 2011
- Brain part failure promotes dehumanising behaviour - Dec 19, 2011
- Yale University brings Hindi debating to America - Mar 29, 2012
- Facebook generates feel good factor - Jun 27, 2012
- Living alone leads to depression - Mar 23, 2012