Health officials examining bird flu outbreak in SikkimJanuary 21st, 2009 - 6:43 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 21 (IANS) Health officials were Wednesday examining the reported outbreak of bird flu in Sikkim that became the third state in India where poultry birds have been infected with the deadly virus in recent times.“Our central rapid response team from the health ministry has reached Gangtok and they are assisting the state health authorities in planning containment measures,” an official said here.
The outbreak of the virus has been confirmed in West Bengal and Assam. Till last week, a total of 483,726 birds have been culled in the two states, the official said.
Avian influenza was reported in Assam Nov 27 and in west Bengal almost three weeks later.
The Department of Animal Husbandry Monday notified the outbreak of the flu in poultry in the Hospital Road locality of Ravongla Municipality in south Sikkim district.
So far not a single human case of bird flu has been reported in India.
The official said they were undertaking a massive awareness campaign in the state. “We are distributing pamphlets and making announcements through radio and television channels,” the official added.
Apart from providing medicines, the health ministry has also given protective equipment and masks for the health workers. “We are monitoring the situation daily,” the official added.
- Over 1,000 birds culled in Sikkim - Jan 22, 2009
- Over 4,000 poultry culled in bird-flu hit Sikkim - Jan 27, 2009
- Culling of birds starts in Bengal - Sep 20, 2011
- Experts to study cause of bird flu outbreak - Mar 17, 2012
- Tripura on fresh bird flu alert, bans poultry imports - Nov 19, 2011
- Tripura begins culling to contain bird flu - Jan 27, 2012
- India confirms bird flu in Bengal, PM concerned - Sep 20, 2011
- Indian states bordering Bangladesh vulnerable to bird flu - Mar 23, 2011
- Indian states bordering Bangladesh vulnerable to bird flu (Lead) - Mar 23, 2011
- Bird flu: Culling begins in Tripura - Mar 08, 2011
- Avian flu reported in Tripura, over 3,000 ducks being culled - Feb 18, 2011
- Culling continues in bird flu-hit Assam, West Bengal - Jan 13, 2009
- Chicken culling starts, as bird flu strikes Tripura - Mar 08, 2011
- Over 26,000 poultry culled in bird flu-hit Murshidabad - Jan 20, 2010
- Over 6,200 poultry culled after fresh flu in Tripura - Feb 02, 2012