Headley’s extradition from US to be discussed: ChidambaramJune 29th, 2012 - 9:50 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 29 (IANS) India Friday said it will have to discuss with US the extradition of Lashkar-e-Taiba operative David Coleman Headley, and termed it the next logical question with regard to the 26/11 suspect, who allegedly carried out a recce of Mumbai ahead of the 2008 attacks.
“I think the further question is whether we will get further access to Headley, whether he would be extradited to India…These are matters to be discussed with US authorities,” Home Minister P. Chidambaram told a press conference called to present the monthly report of his ministry.
Headley now stands convicted in the US pending sentence for his role in the 26/11 attacks that claimed 166 lives, including some Americans.
“As you know, Headley has been convicted by a US court pending sentencing. Only after that exercise is completed, can we say whether Headley will be extradited to India. I am pretty confident that Headley will be given a long sentence in the US,” Chidambaram said.
He also noted that Headley had worked for an US administration’s agency before defecting to Pakistan, to get active as a terrorist.
The home minister pointed out that India had also got access to the 50-year-old Pakistani-American that led to questioning of the 26/11 suspect by Indian sleuths in the US.
- WikiLeaks: Headley wasn't acting alone, said Chidambaram - Dec 18, 2010
- India says it's pursuing Headley extradition (Lead) - Nov 01, 2010
- India seeks access to Headley, Rana - Jun 14, 2012
- Headley confession not a setback: Chidambaram - Mar 19, 2010
- Headley can be made to testify before Indian officials: Chidambaram - Mar 19, 2010
- India will have access to David Headley: Robert Blake - Mar 20, 2010
- US didn't share Headley's name till a year after 26/11: Chidambaram - Nov 01, 2010
- 'Jindal got regular information about Mumbai from Headley' - Jul 05, 2012
- India will seek Headley's extradition: G K Pillai - Dec 10, 2009
- Four member NIA team to leave for US on Sunday to question Headley - May 29, 2010
- US did share intelligence information, says Chidambaram - Nov 01, 2010
- Headley names Pakistani Army officers involved in 26/11 - Mar 26, 2010
- BJP slams US for 'flip-flop' over Headley access - Mar 23, 2010
- Pakistan must take Headley's disclosures seriously, Obama told - Jun 28, 2010
- No decision on giving India direct access to Headley: US (Lead) - Mar 23, 2010