Headley visited n-power plant in India, reveal documentsMay 26th, 2011 - 12:10 pm ICT by IANS
Chicago, May 26 (IANS) Pakistan American David Coleman Headley visited a nuclear power plant in India ahead of the November 2008 Mumbai terror attack, court documents revealed.
The self-confessed key plotter of 26/11 terror strike, who is appearing as a key witness in the trial of his one-time friend Tahawwur Rana, again testified Wednesday that he was trained in espionage by the Pakistani spy agency, the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI).
The prosecution’s star witness in the terror trial, Headley also admitted that while he was training with Pakistan based terror group Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT), he was still officially listed as an informant for the US Drug Enforcement Administration.
According to unsealed court documents released Wednesday, Headley aka Daood Gilani, visited a nuclear power plant in India in April 2008 at the direction of his ISI handler in Pakistan, Major Iqbal, who also gave him Indian currency notes for his operation in India.
According to the 57 pages of documents, Headley returned to Mumbai in April 2008 and as instructed conducted surveillance of potential landing sites, and took boat rides around the Mumbai harbour, using the GPS and making videos.
“Headley also performed surveillance of the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (CST) train station. Additionally, based on instructions from Major Iqbal, Headley visited a nuclear power plant in India to conduct surveillance.
“After completing these surveillance activities, Headley returned to Pakistan and met with Zaki, Sajid, Abu Qahafa, and another Lashkar member,” it said.
The nuclear plant was not identified.
Abu Qahafa downloaded the contents of the device and used Google Earth to view images of the locations, it said adding that Headley recommended a landing point for the attackers near a small fisherman’s bay on the coast of Mumbai.
“As before, Headley also reported to Major Iqbal about what he had done, also providing to him copies of videos that he had made. Further, Headley related to Major Iqbal the discussions that he had with Lashkar regarding the planning and preparation for the attacks,” the documents said.
In the summer of 2008, Headley travelled to Chicago and stayed with Pakistan born Canadian businessman Rana. Headley told Rana about about the surveillance in Mumbai, his boat trips, as well as the meetings with Sajid, one of his LeT handlers, and others regarding the attackers’ planned ingress by sea and the recommended landing points.
Headley told Rana about LeT operation commander Zaki’s idea of having the attackers land in front of the Taj Mahal hotel.
He also told Rana about Major Iqbal’s request that Headley perform surveillance in Delhi and as cover open an office of First World Immigration service operated by Rana.
After visiting Chicago, Headley returned to Pakistan and met several times with Sajid and Abu Qahafa. Sajid instructed Headley to return to Mumbai again and returned the GPS device to Headley with a long list of targets.
Sajid told Headley that he could not get enough video footage of the Taj Mahal hotel. It was during this trip that Zaki again met with Headley to give him encouragement regarding the planned attack.
“Zaki told Headley that their work in Mumbai would heal the breasts of believers and give Muslims in India something to be happy about,” the documents said
- Headley visited Indian n-plant, wanted Kashmir assignment (Lead) - May 26, 2011
- Home ministry gives nod to charges against Headley (Lead) - Dec 21, 2011
- Mumbai attack: US charges four top Pakistani terrorists (Lead) - Apr 26, 2011
- US charges 4 Pakistani terrorists in 26/11 Mumbai attack - Apr 26, 2011
- NIA charges against Headley, Pakistani terrorists soon - Dec 05, 2011
- 'US indictment of four Pakistanis in Mumbai attack significant' - Apr 27, 2011
- Headley was in touch with Pakistan officials, terrorists - May 25, 2011
- Mumbai terror suspect Rana to be arraigned May 4 - Apr 27, 2011
- Pakistan Navy man present to pick Mumbai attack landing site: Headley - May 27, 2011
- 'Headley told LeT of landing sites for Mumbai attack' - May 24, 2011
- Five 26/11 accused named in US court include ISI officer - May 09, 2011
- Headley, ISI handlers hatched a plot to assassinate Bal Thackeray (Second Lead) - May 25, 2011
- US charges four Pakistanis as co-conspirators in 2008 Mumbai terror attacks - Apr 26, 2011
- Rana's lawyers question Headley's credibility (Second Lead) - May 26, 2011
- ISI handler wanted Mumbai airport among targets (Third Lead) - May 25, 2011
Tags: boat rides, chhatrapati shivaji terminus, currency notes, david coleman, drug enforcement administration, gilani, google, indian currency, inter services, iqbal, key witness, lashkar e taiba, nuclear power plant, sajid, spy agency, star witness, surveillance activities, terror attack, terror group, time friend