Headley, ISI handlers hatched a plot to assassinate Bal Thackeray (Second Lead)May 25th, 2011 - 1:15 am ICT by IANS
Chicago, May 24 (IANS) A key plotter of the 2008 Mumbai terror attack told a Chicago court Tuesday that he was involved in a plot by his Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) and ISI handlers to assassinate Shiv Sena supremo Bal Thackeray.
Resuming his testimony in the trial of his one-time friend Pakistan-born Canadian businessman Tahawwur Rana, Pakistani American David Coleman Headley said he had scouted the headquarters of the Shiv Sena, which he described as a terrorist organisation, in Mumbai before the 26/11 attack.
Headley, son of a Pakistani father and an American mother, who changed his given name of Daood Gilani in 2006 to scout targets for the attack without arousing suspicion, spoke of the hatred against Shiv Sena among his Pakistani handlers.
Headley, who has pleaded guilty to escape the death penalty, said his Pakistani handlers - Maj Iqbal of Pakistani spy agency Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) and Sajid Mir of the LeT - Rana and he himself shared a hatred towards Shiv Sena.
Headley also spoke of an effort to penetrate into the Shiv Sena by communicating with Rajaram Reggie, Shiv Sena’s public relations officer.
He shared these communications with Rana, Major Iqbal and Sajid and in June 2008 returned to Pakistan to meet with Major Iqbal and Sajid more than once.
An e-mail sent to Sajid indicated that Bala (Bal Thackeray) would be travelling with Reggie’s boss (Udhav Thakrey) to the US and that he could be assassinated “over here” (in the US).
Headley said he and Sajid discussed about killing Shiv Sena people. “We have discussed. This man (Reggie) was very important and would have given us access to this organization (Shiv Sena).”
Headley was also asked about several emails he sent to Rana, Major Iqbal and Sajid to confirm that Rana and he were in direct communication with the Pakistan-based men.
Headley’s hand-written diary, two pages of which were produced in court as evidence, contains telephone numbers of two Major-rank officers of the Pakistani Army among the handlers of the 26/11 attackers.
The listed names include one “Major Iqbal” and one Major ‘SM’, apparently a code name for Sajid Mir.
The diary also has the names of key Jamaat-ud Dawa (JuD) operatives like Abdur Rahman Makki, who is the deputy of the outfit’s chief Hafiz Saeed.
Also listed are Wasi, Jehangir, Inam, Tehseen, Izaz M, Tahir, Manzoor and Khalid. Initials like ‘A.R’, ‘M.H’, ‘M.B’ and ‘C.B’ are also mentoned.
Most of the phone numbers mentioned are Pakistani. There are also two phone numbers of Dubai. Headley’s diary also contained a telephone number of film Maker Mahesh Bhatt’s son Rahul Bhatt, listed under the name ‘Rahul B’.
- Headley, Rana were in direct touch with ISI handlers (Lead) - May 24, 2011
- 'Headley told LeT of landing sites for Mumbai attack' - May 24, 2011
- Headley identified Somnath temple, Bollywood as targets (Second Lead) - May 26, 2011
- Mumbai terror suspect Rana to be arraigned May 4 - Apr 27, 2011
- Rana a mere pawn in Headley's hands: Defence lawyers - May 26, 2011
- Mumbai terror trial begins in Chicago court (Second Lead) - May 16, 2011
- Rana praised LeT handler for 'brilliantly' done Mumbai attack: Headley (Lead) - May 26, 2011
- ISI handler wanted Mumbai airport among targets (Third Lead) - May 25, 2011
- Jury selection continues in Mumbai terror trial in Chicago (Lead) - May 17, 2011
- Pakistan's role in Mumbai attack may come out in Rana trial (Third Lead) - May 24, 2011
- Mumbai attack: US charges four top Pakistani terrorists (Lead) - Apr 26, 2011
- US charges 4 Pakistani terrorists in 26/11 Mumbai attack - Apr 26, 2011
- Pakistan Navy man present to pick Mumbai attack landing site: Headley - May 27, 2011
- Court accepts 26/11 charges against Headley, 8 Pakistanis (Lead) - Feb 18, 2012
- 'Jindal got regular information about Mumbai from Headley' - Jul 05, 2012
Tags: american mother, bal thackeray, bala, canadian businessman, david coleman, death penalty, e mail, gilani, hatred, inter services, iqbal, isi, lashkar e taiba, plotter, rana, shiv sena, spy agency, terror attack, terrorist organisation, time friend