Hazare’s security beefed upOctober 20th, 2011 - 9:00 pm ICT by IANS
Ralegan Siddhi (Maharashtra), Oct 20 (IANS) Activist Anna Hazare’s security was strengthened Thursday following attacks on his close aides Prashant Bhushan and Arvind Kejriwal, sources said.
The Maharashtra government was in the process of increasing Hazare’s security since the last two months, but the latter had been refusing it.
Hazare will now have 11 security personnel, as against the earlier four. Three metal detectors — at the entrances of his home, the Padmavati temple and his office — have also been installed.
All visitors will now have to pass through these detectors and will be frisked with hand-held scanners, before being allowed to meet Hazare.
The equipment was installed by late Wednesday.
Hazare is currently on an indefinite maun vrat (vow of silence) at this native village in Ahmednagar district, around 280 kms from Mumbai.
Hazare had Wednesday again refused to accept the Z-category security cover for him offered by the state government during a meeting with Additional Director General of Police (Law and Order) Satyapal Singh.
Two prominent Team Anna members were attacked recently. While Supreme Court lawyer Prashant Bhushan was roughed up in his chamber by members of a right-wing group, a slipper was thrown at Arvind Kejriwal at a public meeting in Lucknow.
- Hazare seals his lips with indefinite 'maun vrat' - Oct 16, 2011
- Hazare begins vow of silence Sunday - Oct 15, 2011
- Hazare shifts to old residence - Oct 21, 2011
- Two Team Anna members quit, Bedi denies cracks (Roundup) - Oct 18, 2011
- Gherao MPs opposing Jan Lokpal: Hazare - Sep 10, 2011
- Hazare to continue vow of silence - Oct 27, 2011
- Team Anna not to campaign for or against any party - Jan 10, 2012
- Parallel agitations in Mumbai, Delhi: Hazare - Dec 23, 2011
- Give up your vindictive attitude, Hazare tells government - Sep 04, 2011
- Team Anna going strong, will be revamped: Hazare (Second lead) - Oct 30, 2011
- Team Hazare to hold brainstorming session on Jan Lokpal bill - Sep 09, 2011
- Team Anna members meet Hazare - Oct 30, 2011
- Will Team Anna members too go silent, asks Congress - Oct 15, 2011
- Hazare returns to village after treatment - Feb 18, 2012
- Kashmir integral part of India, says Kejriwal - Oct 14, 2011
Tags: activist, aides, anna hazare, arvind kejriwal, bhushan, hand held scanners, last two months, law and order, maharashtra government, maun, metal detectors, padmavati, police law, right wing, security personnel, siddhi, state government, supreme court lawyer, vow of silence