Hazare put no deadline for house panel, says TewariAugust 11th, 2011 - 9:46 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 11 (IANS) A day after Team Anna met members of the parliamentary committee looking into the Lokpal bill, panel member and Congress leader Manish Tewari Thursday said that the activists never told them that the bill should be rejected by Aug 16.
“They never told us that we should reject the report before Aug 16,” Tewari told reporters here.
Talking to reporters after the meeting Wednesday, Anna Hazare said he would go on a fast if the bill is not rejected by the Parliamentary Standing Committee by Aug 16.
“He affirmed his respect for parliamentary democracy and that he has never spoken against parliament,” Tewari said.
“I would say in interest of transparency, the verbatim of the meeting should be made public,” he added.
Meanwhile, sources said that the Parliamentary Standing Committee on personnel, public grievances, law and justice, headed by Congress leader Abhishek Manu Singhvi, may hold more meetings with Team Anna for finalising the anti-graft bill.
Anna Hazare, along with his team, met the members of the standing committee Wednesday.
“The government draft will not give justice to the poor… we are hopeful with today’s discussion… but the thing is that if all this (rejection of government’s bill) happens by Aug 16, I will stop the fast,” Hazare said.
According to sources, the meeting between Team Anna and the parliamentary committee was cordial, and both sides presented their views.
The sources, however, said that even as the main points of the activists’ version of the bill were raised by them, the issue of bringing the MPs’ action in parliament under the purview of the Lokpal was not raised at the meeting.
The sources also said that the activists were against including NGOs under the ambit of the Lokpal, but later agreed that government supported NGOs should be included.
- Fasting Anna ready for talks, but on his Lokpal (Evening Lead) - Aug 21, 2011
- Anna should contest elections: Congress - Aug 10, 2011
- Anna slams Lokpal bill, vows fast from Aug 16 (Second Lead) - Aug 11, 2011
- PM ready for 'give and take' as Hazare continues fast (Roundup) - Aug 20, 2011
- Government, Team Hazare in major confrontation - Aug 15, 2011
- Lokpal panel to hear CVC, Aruna Roy - Sep 22, 2011
- Lokpal panel likely to finalise report Nov 30 - Nov 28, 2011
- Ways to bypass parliamentary procedures: Prashant Bhushan - Aug 26, 2011
- Anna to meet parliamentary panel, says Lokpal Bill eyewash (Lead) - Aug 10, 2011
- Team Anna to meet government panel on Lokpal - Aug 10, 2011
- Hazare writes to PM on fast from Aug 16 (Lead) - Jul 19, 2011
- Public opinion sought on Lokpal, Team Anna terms it diversion (Second lead) - Aug 20, 2011
- Team Anna unhappy over final Lokpal bill draft - Nov 29, 2011
- Open to discussions on Lokpal, says PM as Hazare fast continues (Afternoon Lead) - Aug 20, 2011
- Public opinion sought on Lokpal, Team Anna rejects move (Lead) - Aug 20, 2011
Tags: abhishek, activists, ambit, anna hazare, anti graft, congress leader, law and justice, manish, manu, New Delhi, ngos, panel member, parliament, parliamentary committee, parliamentary democracy, parliamentary standing committee, public grievances, purview, rejection, tewari