Hazare insulted national flag, petitioner tells apex court (Lead)May 3rd, 2012 - 8:41 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 3 (IANS) The Supreme Court will Friday hear a petition seeking direction to the central government to take action against Anna Hazare and his aides Kiran Bedi and Arvind Kejriwal for showing disrespect to the national flag during their Lokpal agitation in Delhi, Mumbai and Chennai.
Chennai-based petitioner L.K. Venkat alleged that Hazare and his associates had flown the flag at half mast in public, put it on the ground and defaced it.
The petition said that his representation to the government to initiate action against Hazare and his team members was ignored.
He said that acts of Hazare and his associates constituted an offence that was punishable under the Prevention of Insults to National Honour Act, 1971.
Hazare and his associates had shown disrespect to the national flag “knowingly, intentionally and deliberately”. Their actions were punishable with imprisonment of three years, the petition said.
Venkat said that he had sent to the government the video of actions of Hazare and his aides along with his application seeking action against them.
- Plea seeking action against Hazare, aides dismissed (Lead) - May 04, 2012
- Hazare insulted national flag, petitioner tells apex court - May 03, 2012
- Petition seeking action against Hazare, aides dismissed - May 04, 2012
- Case against Hazare for insult to tricolour - Aug 18, 2011
- The 'case' of SP leader's tricolour birthday cake - Oct 19, 2010
- Indian flag to fly half-mast to mourn Deshmukh death - Aug 14, 2012
- Team Anna to approach apex court against detentions - Aug 16, 2011
- Notice to police on carpenter's plea against Anna - Sep 05, 2011
- Allegations against me, team members false, says Hazare - Jun 12, 2012
- Delhi lawyers protest Hazare's detention - Aug 16, 2011
- Anna slams government, Kejriwal to carry on fast (Second Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- We don't want to topple government: Team Anna - Aug 22, 2011
- BJD worker held for disrespect to tricolour - Dec 29, 2010
- Opposition attacks BJD over disrespect to tricolour - Dec 28, 2010
- Hazare faces complaint in Bhopal on flag hoisting - Aug 16, 2011
Tags: agitation, aides, anna hazare, apex, apex court, arvind kejriwal, central government, chennai, disrespect, flag at half mast, imprisonment, insults, mumbai, national flag, national honour, New Delhi, offence, petition, petitioner, team members