Hazare appeals to people to maintain peaceAugust 17th, 2011 - 5:21 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 17 (IANS) Even as talks between the government and Team Anna continued over the location of Anna Hazare’s fast, the civil society leader Wednesday appealed to the people to maintain peace and calm.
“I appeal to people to maintain peace and calm and join us in the fight against corruption,” senior lawyer Prashant Bhushan quoted Hazare as saying in a message from the Tihar Jail.
Bhushan along with activists Medha Patkar, Swami Agnivesh and Kiran Bedi Wednesday met Hazare at Tihar Jail, which he has refused to leave in spite of being released Tuesday evening after being arrested earlier in the day hours before he was to begin a fast-unto-death to demand a stiff anti-graft law. Hazare says he will leave only if he is permitted to continue his fast at a venue of his choice.
“The government and police are discussing if they can allow us to hold the fast at JP Park. There are also talks about giving us Ramila Ground but nothing has been decided so far,” said Bhushan.
Bhushan said that he will inform the people about Hazare’s release and their future course of action.
“I appeal to all of you to reach India Gate at 4 p.m. today (Wednesday) and we will take out a rally from Indian Gate to Jantar Mantar in support of a Lokpal bill,” he said.
- Close aides meet Anna in Tihar Jail - Aug 17, 2011
- Ramlila grounds may be Hazare fast venue - Aug 17, 2011
- Chronology of an epochal fast - Aug 28, 2011
- Hectic efforts to resolve crisis as anti-corruption crusade swells (Evening Lead) - Apr 08, 2011
- Candlelight march to support Hazare crusade - Apr 06, 2011
- Orderly Anna supporters impress cops, vendors - Apr 09, 2011
- Government had 'bounden duty' to maintain peace: PM - Aug 17, 2011
- Anna Hazare suffers high BP, urged to take rest - Apr 09, 2011
- Government had 'bounden' duty to maintain peace: PM (Lead) - Aug 17, 2011
- Police mum on Hazare request for fast - Aug 01, 2011
- Hazare to end fast Sunday, says it's victory of the people (Second Lead) - Apr 09, 2011
- Hazare's rallying anti-corruption cry galvanises India - Apr 06, 2011
- Anna sent to Tihar, says Delhi Police - Aug 16, 2011
- Kiran Bedi, Shanti Bhushan released - Aug 16, 2011
- Yeddyurappa supports Hazare - Apr 08, 2011