Hayden to take a call on his career after South Africa seriesDecember 24th, 2008 - 2:56 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, Dec 24 (IANS) Australian opening batsman Matthew Hayden said Wednesday that he will take a call on his career after the end of the Test series against South Africa next month.The 37-year-old Hayden has been under immense pressure due to a form slump and has managed just two fifties in the last 13 innings. In the seven Tests he has played, since recovering from an Achilles injury, the burly Queenslander has made only 282 runs at an average of 23.5.
“I’m still enjoying the game. I’ve still got a role to play as a senior player,” Hayden told reporters at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG), the venue of the second Test.
“I’ve got to perform as we’ve all got to perform, because that’s the expectation of Australian cricket. It’s a long answer to a question I haven’t got an answer to really,” he added.
“I really want to play good Test match cricket for this next series and then see where we are at. We’ve still got one-dayers and a long summer ahead of us.”
Hayden said that for him, the target is the next two matches against South Africa and is not thinking about next year’s tour to South Africa or the Ashes series against England.
“My wife Kellie and I have just really put every series into context. We weigh it up, as simple as that. I’m not looking to (next year’s tours of) South Africa or England at this stage, I’m looking at these next two Test matches,” he said.
- Fit again Bollinger hopes for Test recall - Aug 16, 2011
- Aussie pace attack has lot better depth than England: Brett Lee - Nov 05, 2010
- Boxing Day Test: Shaun Marsh confident of regaining fitness - Dec 22, 2011
- South Africa can dominate world cricket: Kirsten - Mar 29, 2012
- Katich among seven players to lose Australian contract - Jun 08, 2011
- Ponting to review future with Australian cricket - Dec 29, 2010
- Ashes 2010: Cook confident of England win against 'humbled' Australia - Nov 01, 2010
- Hayden to take call on career after Sydney Test - Dec 24, 2008
- Katich resigns to his fate, says Cowan worthy successor - Dec 26, 2011
- India will rely on swing: Zaheer - Dec 15, 2011
- Confident with the squad we have: Clarke - Aug 04, 2011
- Strauss to play for Somerset against India - Jun 21, 2011
- Wise Ponting realised that clinging onto Oz captaincy could have finished him - Mar 30, 2011
- Let us accept we were very ordinary: Ganguly - Aug 13, 2011
- Pietersen to ECB: Let me play full IPL or else... - Aug 08, 2012