Hawara, four held guilty for Delhi twin blasts in 2005 (Lead)August 30th, 2012 - 11:17 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 30 (IANS) Babbar Khalsa International terrorist Jagtar Singh Hawara and four others were Thursday convicted by a Delhi court for their involvement in the 2005 twin blasts at Satyam and Liberty cinema halls in the city which left 60 cinegoers injured.
They were sentenced to seven years of imprisonment that would be adjusted against an equal length of period they have already spent in jail during the trial.
Hawara, awarded life term for the assassination of then Punjab chief minister Beant Singh in 1995, would remain in jail but the other four convicts would be released.
Additional Sessions Judge Rakesh Siddhartha convicted Jagtar Singh Hawara, Balwinder, Jaspal, Vikas and Jagannath.
The blasts took place May 22, 2005, during the screening of Hindi film “Jo Bole So Nihaal”.
The court also slapped a fine of Rs.25,000 on each of the convicts.
The court observed that the intention of the accused persons was not to kill people but to create panic.
In the twin blasts case, Hawara was charged with harbouring Jaspal and Vikas, who were actively involved in executing the blasts.
Balwinder, Jaspal, Vikas and Jagannath pleaded guilty for the conspiracy to commit offences against the state, attempt to murder and culpable homicide not amounting to murder under the Indian Penal Code and the Explosives Substance Act.
The five also pleaded guilty under the terror charges.
- Five held guilty for Delhi twin blasts in 2005 - Aug 30, 2012
- Why not death to you, apex court asks Hawara - Dec 05, 2011
- Burail jail-break: Court declares conspirator 'absconder' - Apr 02, 2011
- Babbar Khalsa terrorists attacked, four arrested - Nov 11, 2011
- Patiala jailor again refuses to accept Rajoana's death warrant (Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
- Tihar Jail to lodge terrorist Hawara - Oct 25, 2010
- Punjab jailor wants Sikh terrorist's death warrant deferred - Mar 26, 2012
- Badal to meet president to seek clemency for Rajoana - Mar 28, 2012
- Babbar Khalsa plotting revival, big strike: Delhi Police - Jan 01, 2012
- Babbar Khalsa terrorist convicted for Beant Singh's assassination - Mar 29, 2010
- BKI terrorist Jagtar Hawara's death sentence commuted to life - Oct 12, 2010
- Rajoana to hang Saturday, rules court (Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
- Assassin on death row wants to be baptized a Sikh - Dec 05, 2010
- Tight security across Punjab ahead of Rajoana hanging - Mar 28, 2012
- Babbar Khalsa terrorist gets 10 years' jail - Mar 23, 2010
Tags: babbar khalsa, chief minister, cinema halls, conspiracy, convicts, culpable homicide, delhi court, explosives, imprisonment, indian penal code, jagtar singh hawara, jaspal, New Delhi, rakesh, satyam, seven years, siddhartha, terror charges, twin blasts, vikas