Have not changed statement to save myself: Former telecom secretaryApril 20th, 2012 - 10:18 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi April 20 (IANS) Former telecom secretary D.S. Mathur Friday told a special Delhi court hearing the 2G case that he has not changed his statement given to Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to save himself from this case.
“It is wrong to suggest that I improved my version in subsequent statements made to the investigating officer (IO) because by that time, (former communications minister) A. Raja, (former telecom secretary) Sidharath Behura and (Raja’s personal secretary) R.K. Chandolia were arrested and I wanted to save myself,” Mathur told special CBI judge O.P. Saini.
Mathur accepted Chandolia’s submission made by his counsel Vijay Aggarwal that he appeared before Public Accounts Committee (PAC) and Joint Parliamentary Committee (JPC) for making statement in 2G case.
Mathur told court that he was not called by the committee headed By Justice Shivraj Patil who is also taking note on the process for issuance of 2G licenses and allocation of spectrum during the period 2001-2009.
According to the government auditor, the 2G spectrum allocation case pertained to biased distribution of mobile airwaves and operating licences, in lieu of kickbacks to telecom firms that could have cost the treasury up to Rs.1.76 lakh crore in lost revenue.
Nineteen individuals and six companies are accused in the case. Except for Raja and Behura, all other arrested accused have been released on bail.
- 2G: Lawyers warned about irrelevant questions - Apr 18, 2012
- 2G: Companies knew date of LOIs issuance beforehand, claims witness - Mar 30, 2012
- 'Raja was told to reconsider cut-off date for 2G licences' - Apr 09, 2012
- Did not depose falsely against Raja: Ex-telecom secretary - Apr 17, 2012
- 2G: Court allows Behura to appear before JPC - Mar 30, 2012
- Officials told Raja to auction 2G airwaves, court told - Apr 10, 2012
- Ex-TRAI chief Mishra deposes in 2G scam case - Jan 11, 2012
- 2G: Enhancing FDI limit was to encourage foreign investment - Apr 12, 2012
- Don't treat 3G in continuation of 2G, TRAI said in 2006: Witness - Mar 15, 2012
- Court allows Kanimozhi to attend budget session (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- Tata Teleservices applications received late: Mathur - Apr 16, 2012
- Birla wrote letter to PM: Ex-telecom regulator - Mar 16, 2012
- TRAI had no information about spectrum, court told - Mar 22, 2012
- 2G: Ravi Ruia, three others appear before court - Mar 31, 2012
- 2G: Raja concludes cross examination of ex-aide (Lead) - Jan 02, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,