Have CWG tickets? Then travel free in DTC, MetroFebruary 19th, 2010 - 9:04 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 19 (IANS) The Commonwealth Games organising committee Friday said all spectators who have tickets for any event will be able to travel free in public transport on the day of the competition.
“There are plans to integrate the Delhi Metro and the Delhi Transport Corporation (DTC) services so that all spectators can commute effortlessly and conveniently between different locations in and around Delhi. The ticketed spectators will be entitled for free public transport, on DTC buses and Delhi metro, valid for the day of the competition,” a statement from the committee said.
The 2010 Commonwealth Games will take place in the capital Oct 3-14.
According to the organising committee, there are also proposals to introduce a special fleet of buses for the games, regular shuttle service to and from various metro stations near the games’ venue and free travel passes for volunteers.
“To ferry spectators to and from different games’ venues, DTC will be providing a special bus fleet consisting of more than 600 compressed natural gas (CNG) fuelled buses. The organising committee and the DTC has also identified various points from where the buses will pick and drop passengers and for this Delhi will be divided into five zones,” the statement said.
According to the release, around 100,000 foreign tourists are expected to come to the city for the games in addition to Indian tourists.
- CWG makeover? DTC back to plying old buses (Year after CWG) - Oct 01, 2011
- DTC uses CWG to showcase India's ability to host international mega events - Oct 08, 2010
- Australia, Britain queue up to buy Games tickets (Commonwealth Games Countdown) - Jul 07, 2010
- Drivers trained in English for easy commuting during Games - Aug 23, 2010
- Free transport for opening ceremony for spectators - Oct 01, 2010
- Blueline buses will be off Delhi roads by March 2010: officials - Sep 24, 2009
- World class transport facilities in Delhi for Games - Jul 19, 2010
- Buy tickets while travelling on DTC buses: Dikshit - Jul 16, 2012
- UP takes stock of F1 Indian Grand Prix preparations - Sep 06, 2012
- Traffic advisory issued near Karni Singh Shooting range - Oct 04, 2010
- Commonwealth Games tickets now on sale - Jun 04, 2010
- Delhi gets CNG-electric hybrid buses - Sep 18, 2010
- DTC earned Rs.60 crore extra during CWG - Oct 19, 2010
- 2010 CWG tickets to be launched on August 25 - Aug 20, 2010
- CWG: Delhi to roll out 6,000 government-run buses - Sep 17, 2010
Tags: 2010 commonwealth games, bus fleet, buses, compressed natural gas, delhi metro, different games, free travel, indian tourists, metro stations, New Delhi, organising committee, proposals, public transport, shuttle service, spectators, transport corporation, venue, volunteers