Hasan Ali to be presented in court TuesdayMarch 8th, 2011 - 1:12 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, March 8 (IANS) Hours after his arrest late Monday, Pune-based stud farm owner and allegedly India’s biggest tax evader Hasan Ali Khan will be presented before a magistrate court here Tuesday afternoon, officials said.
As the Enforcement Directorate (ED) made preparations to take him to court, Khan complained of breathlessness and chest pain and was rushed to the Sir J.J. Hospital for a check-up.
He was taken to the OPD and his blood pressure was reported to be high.
The fast-paced developments took place since Monday after Khan was held for questioning as the ED intensified the probe into allegations of multi-billion dollar tax evasion and money-laundering rackets.
The ED and other agencies are also likely to open some bank lockers in his presence in Mumbai, an ED official told IANS, requesting anonymity.
An ED team from Mumbai had raided Khan’s Pune house Monday but details of the outcome have not been revealed.
This was the second time that Khan has been raided in the past four years, the previous raid being in January 2007.
Among other things, Khan is suspected to have stashed away around $8 billion in Swiss bank accounts, transferring cash and assets out of the country through dubious means and evading taxes on income with a suspected liability of over Rs.40,000 crore.
Recently, the ED has issued summons to him to appear before it March 10 (Thursday) while he had been quizzed by the Income Tax Department last month in connection with notices served to him in December 2008.
Besides, the ED had also issued look-out notices against Khan to ensure he did not make attempts to flee the country.
- Hasan Ali in ED custody till Wednesday - Mar 08, 2011
- Hasan Ali Khan produced in court (Lead) - Mar 08, 2011
- Enforcement Directorate questions tax evader Hasan Ali Khan - Mar 07, 2011
- Hasan Ali suffers stroke, to seek bail: Lawyer - Oct 30, 2011
- Hasan Ali case: Hearing adjourned till April 29 - Apr 20, 2011
- Tax sleuths grill Pune billionaire Hasan Ali Khan - Feb 18, 2011
- Hasan Ali case: ED to submit status report before Supreme Court - Mar 28, 2011
- Enforcement Directorate arrests farm owner Khan's business partner - Mar 24, 2011
- ED allowed to quiz tax evader Hasan Ali for another day (Lead) - Mar 09, 2011
- Hasan Ali granted bail, collapses in courtroom - Aug 12, 2011
- Hasan Ali's judicial custody extended till April 26 - Apr 13, 2011
- Hasan Ali's bail plea hearing adjourned till June 17 - Jun 07, 2011
- Hasan Ali chargesheeted by ED - May 06, 2011
- Is Hasan Ali's money the proceeds of crime, asks court - Aug 01, 2011
- Hasan Ali's judicial custody extended till May 7 - Apr 26, 2011
Tags: anonymity, breathlessness, chest pain, ed team, enforcement directorate, hasan ali khan, income tax department, lockers, magistrate court, money laundering, mumbai, opd, pune, rs 40, stud farm, summons, swiss bank accounts, tax evader, tax evasion, tuesday afternoon