Hasan Ali chargesheeted by EDMay 6th, 2011 - 7:10 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 6 (IANS) The Enforcement Directorate (ED) Friday filed a chargesheet against Hasan Ali Khan, alleged money launderer and the country’s top tax evader, and his associate Kolkata-based businessman Kashinath Tapuriah in a Mumbai court.
Khan’s lawyer I.P. Bagaria confirmed the development. “The ED has filed the chargesheet against Khan and Tapuriah under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act,” he said.
The ED had recently questioned Bihar Congress leader Amlendu Pandey and Puducherry Lieutenant Governor Iqbal Singh and recorded their statements for allegedly helping Khan get a fake passport in Patna.
Khan was taken into custody by the ED March 17 after the Supreme Court cancelled the bail granted to him by a trial court. On March 21, the apex court had ordered his custody to the ED for an additional three days.
A Mumbai sessions court April 26 extended Khan’s judicial custody till May 7.
Khan is suspected to have stashed away around $8 billion in Swiss bank accounts, transferring cash and assets out of the country through dubious means and evading taxes on income with a suspected liability of over Rs.40,000 crore.
- Hasan Ali's judicial custody extended till April 26 - Apr 13, 2011
- Hasan Ali's judicial custody extended till Wednesday - May 09, 2011
- Hasan Ali sent to judicial custody till April 8 - Mar 25, 2011
- Hasan Ali's judicial custody extended till June 2 - May 19, 2011
- Hasan Ali sent to judicial custody till April 8 (Lead) - Mar 25, 2011
- Hasan Ali case: Hearing adjourned till April 29 - Apr 20, 2011
- Court dismisses Hasan Ali's bail plea (Lead) - Apr 29, 2011
- Hasan Ali case: Enforcement Directorate to question Tapuriah, Pandey - Apr 18, 2011
- Hasan Ali granted bail, collapses in courtroom - Aug 12, 2011
- Tapuriah granted anticipatory bail - Jun 13, 2011
- Hasan Ali's bail plea hearing adjourned till June 17 - Jun 07, 2011
- Is Hasan Ali's money the proceeds of crime, asks court - Aug 01, 2011
- Hasan Ali's associate sent to ED custody till March 30 (Lead) - Mar 24, 2011
- Hasan Ali's custody extended till June 7 - Jun 02, 2011
- Hasan Ali suffers stroke, to seek bail: Lawyer - Oct 30, 2011
Tags: apex court, businessman, congress leader, ed march, enforcement directorate, fake passport, hasan ali khan, iqbal singh, judicial custody, lieutenant governor, money launderer, money laundering act, mumbai court, patna, puducherry, rs 40, sessions court, swiss bank accounts, tax evader, trial court