Haryana village heads want police officials sacked (Lead)June 20th, 2008 - 9:24 pm ICT by IANS
Bhiwani (Haryana), June 20 (IANS) Ten village heads at their meeting in Haryana’s Bhiwani district Friday set a 13-day deadline for the state government to dismiss the police officials involved in the killing of a youth in an “encounter” near Tosham town. The village heads at their ‘mahapanchayat’ (mega meet) demanded a compensation of Rs.2 million and a government job to a member of the family of Mahinder Kumar, who was shot. The village heads held their meeting Friday at village Garanpura, where the youth was killed.
Kumar was shot late Wednesday by a police squad at a security barricade near Tosham town, 25 km from here. A taxi driver, Kumar was the sole earning member in his family.
Villagers shouted slogans against the police and the state government in Kumar’s village Friday. They also blocked the highway to Bhiwani Thursday to protest the youth’s killing by the police.
“We want action against the police officials so that they do not kill any innocent people in future,” said Sher Singh, a village head.
The Bhiwani police ordered a probe into the incident Thursday.
Sanjay Kumar, the Bhiwani district police chief, claimed Mahinder did not stop at the barricade when flagged down by the police and opened fire on the policemen.
However, villagers and family members of Kumar said he was innocent and had been hit on the back by the police.
The killing of the youth further embarrasses the state police after a woman from Rohtak and a youth near Karnal committed suicides in the past 10 days alleging police excesses.
- Probe ordered into killing of youth by Haryana police - Jun 20, 2008
- 29 pilgrims killed in Haryana accident (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Mirchpur violence: Jat protest enters 11th day - Jan 25, 2011
- Mirchpur incident: Jats call off protest (Lead) - Jan 26, 2011
- Mirchpur incident: Jats to call off protest - Jan 26, 2011
- 25 pilgrims killed in Haryana accident - Jul 30, 2012
- Mirchpur violence: Jats demand SIT probe, block roads - Jan 23, 2011
- Mirchpur violence: Jats demand SIT probe; blockade disrupts traffic (Lead) - Jan 23, 2011
- Haryana man killed over love affair, hunt on for attackers - Nov 03, 2010
- Haryana releases Jat leaders, stir yet to end - Mar 11, 2012
- Jat agitators block roads, tracks again in Haryana - Mar 09, 2012
- Mirchpur caste violence: Protests spread to more areas (Lead) - Jan 24, 2011
- Haryana Police advises slow driving during fog - Dec 28, 2010
- Jats likely to intensify stir in Haryana - Mar 10, 2012
- Chaos rules as Jats block Haryana roads, rail tracks (Lead) - Mar 07, 2012