Haryana to scan reputation of police officialsJune 29th, 2008 - 4:26 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, June 29 (IANS) Embarrassed by the involvement of its own police officials in rapes and other crime activities, the Haryana police has decided to carefully examine the service record of police officials and deal sternly with undesirable elements, a police official said Sunday. Director General Police Ranjiv Dalal reviewed the functioning of the police districts in the state at a meeting held at Madhuban near Karnal, 150 km from here.
In the month of June itself, Haryana police officials have been accused of raping women in police station in two incidents in Rohtak town and Nissing town near Karnal.
In another case in Bhiwani district, Haryana police personnel killed a youth in an “encounter” after he failed to stop his vehicle at a police barricade near Tosham town, 300 km from here.
Another youth near Karnal town committed suicide earlier June accusing the police of implicating him in the disappearance case of a girl from his village. He accused the police of torturing him.
In view of the bad image being brought to the state police by such incidents, Dalal directed all district police chiefs to undertake screening of records of police personnel and deal sternly and promptly with undesirable elements.
He also asked them to visit all police stations and police posts within next one week either by conducting surprise checks or through pre-announced visits.
He directed the range inspector generals of police to extensively tour districts falling within their ranges and interact with police men at all levels. He also instructed them to ensure speedy disposal of complaints and prompt registration of First Information Reports.
- Jats likely to intensify stir in Haryana - Mar 10, 2012
- Shelter home exploitation: cop held for destroying evidence - Jul 06, 2012
- Floods wash away Ambala-Hisar highway - Jul 09, 2010
- Life affected as Jats continue blockades in Haryana (Lead) - Mar 10, 2012
- Jat agitators block roads, tracks again in Haryana - Mar 09, 2012
- 25 pilgrims killed in Haryana accident - Jul 30, 2012
- Haryana university student alleges gang-rape - May 18, 2012
- Mirchpur caste violence: Protests spread to more areas (Lead) - Jan 24, 2011
- Mirchpur violence: Jat protest enters 11th day - Jan 25, 2011
- Uneasy calm in Haryana's Hisar district - Mar 08, 2012
- 'The Great Khali' to visit Haryana town Wednesday - Nov 11, 2009
- Probe into abuse by Haryana cops in women's shelter (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- Haryana Police advises slow driving during fog - Dec 28, 2010
- Cricketer Harbhajan Singh robbed in Haryana - Dec 12, 2011
- Laptops for Haryana constables - Apr 17, 2010