Haryana to honour Bindra, olympians at Bhiwani SaturdayAugust 27th, 2008 - 9:10 pm ICT by IANS
Bhiwani/Chandigarh, Aug 27 (IANS) The Haryana government will honour Beijing Olympics shooting gold medal winner Abhinav Bindra and other Olympians at a function to be organised at Bhiwani Saturday (Aug 30).An official spokesman said in Chandigarh Wednesday that Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda will give cash awards to seven Olympians and boxing coach Jagdish Singh at this function.
Shooter Abhinav Bindra, who got the first individual gold for the country in the 10-metre air rifle shooting event at the Beijing Olympics this month, will be given a cash award of Rs 2.5 million.
Bhiwani boxer Vijender Singh, who won the first Olympic bronze medal for the country in boxing, would be given Rs.5 million.
Two other boxers from Bhiwani, Akhil Kumar and Jitender Kumar, who reached the quarter finals in their boxing events, would be given Rs.2.5 million each.
Delhi wrestler, Sushil Kumar, who also won a bronze medal in Beijing in wrestling event, would also be given Rs.2.5 million.
The spokesman said that two other Olympians, Saina Nehwal and Yogeshwar Dutt, who reached the quarter finals of the badminton and wrestling events respectively, would also get Rs.2.5 million each.
He said that boxing coach at Bhiwani, Jagdish Singh, would also be honoured on this occasion by the chief minister with a cash award of Rs.2.5 million for promoting boxing.
- Haryana grooms sporting talent for India's future - Nov 29, 2010
- Sushil Kumar to be India's flag bearer at Olympics - Jul 15, 2012
- India will aim at 25 medals in 2020 Olympics - Aug 16, 2012
- Vijay, Yogeshwar honoured with Khel Ratna; 25 get Arjuna - Aug 29, 2012
- Indian athletes' London tryst amid soaring expectations - Jul 26, 2012
- The best Olympics for India (Review) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympics: India on a medal count - Jul 27, 2012
- Haryana doubles cash rewards for Rio - Aug 26, 2012
- Olympians with Haryana connection earn millions - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympics: Indian contingent greeted with huge cheers - Jul 28, 2012
- CWG: Tejaswani, Lajjakumari win silver medal in 50m rifle - Oct 05, 2010
- Two get Khel Ratna, 25 Arjuna Award - Aug 19, 2012
- PM honours Mary Kom, Yogeshwar Dutt - Sep 08, 2012
- 76 Indians qualify for Olympics, more likely - Jun 12, 2012
- Haryana announces Rs.1.5 crore reward, land for Sushil - Aug 12, 2012