Haryana seeks war weapons for museumFebruary 18th, 2011 - 9:42 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Feb 18 (IANS) Haryana Finance Minister Ajay Singh Yadav has urged Defence Minister A.K. Antony to allow the armed forces to donate their old and non-functional weapons for the newly constructed Rezangla War Museum and Memorial at Rewari in Haryana.Yadav has made the request in his letter to the defence minister referring to the Chinese aggression in 1962, when a grave battle was fought at Rezangla Ridge, at a height of 16,000 feet in Ladakh region, a government spokesman said here Friday.
In the fierce battle, 114 soldiers of the Ahir Rifle Company of 13 Kumaon Regiment, most of them from Rewari, Mahendergarh and Gurgaon districts of Haryana, fought the enemy till their last bullets.
Yadav said the brave Indian soldiers killed about 1,300 Chinese soldiers in the battle.
“The soldiers made supreme sacrifices while exhibiting indomitable courage and bravery Nov 18, 1962,” Yadav stated in the letter.
The Rezangla Museum, Haryana’s first war museum, was inaugurated Nov 18, 2010, at Rewari.
Yadav requested the defence minister to instruct the army, navy and air force to donate old and non-functional weapons for display at this museum.
He also asked for the inclusion of Vijayanta tanks, artillery guns, aeroplanes and boats in the list.
Haryana has thousands of ex-servicemen and Rewari district alone is home to more than 31,000 ex-servicemen and over 140,00 dependants.
- High-level panel formed to resolve defence pay disparity - Jul 13, 2012
- Gurgaon 'grooms' for daughters of Lalu Prasad, Sharad Yadav - Jan 11, 2012
- Panel's report on defence pay anomalies on Wednesday - Aug 07, 2012
- After bribe revelations, Army chief talks about army welfare - Mar 31, 2012
- (After 2)Mamata's patriotic song becomes swansong for ex-servicemen - Sep 18, 2011
- Apex court recalls order on panel for ex-servicemen - Jul 18, 2011
- Haryana enhances annuity for freedom fighters - Aug 15, 2011
- 'Serious fraud probe' into ex-servicemen job scam - Sep 25, 2011
- Govt. approves extension of ECHS facilities to Nepal Domiciled Gorkhas - May 27, 2010
- Ex-servicemen hold protest, demand equal pension (Lead) - Mar 14, 2010
- Provide more jobs to retired defence personnel: Antony - Jun 27, 2011
- Hooda detractors make themselves heard (Haryana Newsletter) - Jan 15, 2012
- One-rank-one-pension not so soon: Antony - Aug 25, 2010
- Health scheme approved for Nepal-domiciled Gorkhas - Jan 04, 2012
- Watch real life stories of ex-servicemen on Doordarshan - Jul 05, 2010
Tags: aeroplanes, ajay singh, army navy, artillery guns, chinese aggression, chinese soldiers, courage and bravery, defence minister, fierce battle, government spokesman, gurgaon, haryana finance minister, indian soldiers, indomitable courage, rewari, rifle company, supreme sacrifices, war museum, war weapons, yadav