Haryana Police to probe woman’s molestation complaint (Lead)January 14th, 2009 - 12:30 am ICT by IANS
Panchkula (Haryana), Jan 13 (IANS) After staging a sit-in for nearly 24 hours, a woman who complained of being molested by a senior police officer was Tuesday assured by the Haryana Police chief that her allegation would be looked into and the necessary corrective steps would be taken.Haryana Police chief Ranjeev Dalal finally met the woman Tuesday evening and listened to her grievance for over half-an-hour, an official said.
“Haryana Police will take this issue seriously and have decided to forward this case to the home ministry of the state for a fair investigation. The victim also came the DGP two months back and this time also she was quite satisfied with her meeting with him,” police spokesman S.A.H. Zaidi told IANS Tuesday evening.
“She could not meet the DGP on Monday because it was a holiday. There is no threat to the woman and her family and she is free to approach the police in case of any trouble,” Zaidi added.
Earlier, the police headquarters in Panchkula district here witnessed major drama Monday night after the 35-year-old woman refused to budge from the place demanding action against a senior Haryana police officer who she claimed had molested her and insisted on a meeting with the state police chief.
The woman had come alone from Yamunanagar in Haryana, around 120 km from here. She arrived in the afternoon Monday, sat outside the police headquarters and insisted on meeting Dalal.
She threw stones at anyone who tried to go near her and sat through the very cold night by just wrapping a thin blanket around herself.
The Haryana Police stationed two women constables and a Police Control Room vehicle to keep an eye on the woman Monday night.
“In 2002, I went to the office of the Superintendent of Police M.S. Ahlawat to file a complaint against my in-laws in Yamunanagar. The officer took undue advantage of my suffering and molested me in his office. Now he has become inspector general and is issuing life threats to me and my family,” the woman told reporters Tuesday.
On June 9 last year, a rape victim from Rohtak committed suicide at the office of the DGP to protest police indifference towards her.
- Haryana: Widow molestation case victim goes missing - Jun 11, 2010
- Woman alleges Haryana cop molested her; holds protest sit-in - Jan 13, 2009
- Haryana ex-cop gets shield against arrest till July 13 (Lead) - Jun 22, 2010
- Haryana ex-top cop goes underground - Jun 17, 2010
- Another Haryana top cop charged with molestation - Jun 09, 2010
- Interim bail for Haryana ex-cop accused of molestation - Jun 22, 2010
- Haryana ex-top cop's anticipatory bail plea rejected - Jun 16, 2010
- Hearing on Haryana cop's anticipatory bail plea adjourned - Jun 14, 2010
- Haryana ex-top cop seeks bail in molestation case - Jun 10, 2010
- Police clueless about Haryana ex-top cop's whereabouts - Jun 19, 2010
- Haryana to recruit 11,000 constables - Sep 10, 2012
- Shelter home exploitation: cop held for destroying evidence - Jul 06, 2012
- Haryana sets up team to probe former top cop (Lead) - Dec 30, 2009
- UP lawmaker's son held for thrashing Russian woman (Lead) - Mar 05, 2012
- Probe into abuse by Haryana cops in women's shelter (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012