Haryana police recover 1,062 liquor casesApril 22nd, 2011 - 8:04 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, April 22 (IANS) The Haryana police have recovered 1,062 cases of Indian Made Foreign Liquor (IMFL) and country made liquor from a truck in Ambala district that was headed for Gujarat, an official said Friday.
The truck, with a Rajasthan registration number (RJ-10G-1781), was carrying liquor which was being smuggled to Gujarat from Chandigarh.
Two persons, Mukesh and Sunil Kumar, have been arrested and the truck and liquor consignment impounded, a police department spokesman said.
“On a tip off, a police team put barricades in Saha area and stopped the truck. While checking documents, the invoices of liquor were found fake and the truck was loaded with liquor of a different brand,” he said.
“During interrogation, both accused confessed to smuggling the liquor from Chandigarh to Gujarat. The liquor was handed over to excise and taxation department and a case has been registered against the accused,” he added.
Haryana police and excise officials have, in the past, seized hundreds of bottles of liquor being smuggled from Chandigarh, a union territory, to Gujarat and other states.
They say that smuggling of liquor from Chandigarh, where the price of liquor is much cheaper to neighbouring Punjab and Haryana owing to lower taxation, takes place as the demand is high from the state of Gujarat, where there is total prohibition.
“The trucks smuggle liquor through Haryana and Rajasthan areas and take it to Gujarat,” one police official said here.
- 750 liquor cartons on way to Gujarat seized, one held - Aug 21, 2010
- Haryana police seize 500 cartons of smuggled liquor - Sep 07, 2010
- Haryana to disallow liquor vends near schools, hospitals - Feb 20, 2012
- Liquor to cost more in Haryana - Feb 21, 2011
- Punjab hikes liquor prices - Feb 22, 2011
- Truck with 14,000 liquor bottles impounded in Haryana - Jan 04, 2009
- Liquor costlier in Himachal Pradesh - Mar 10, 2011
- Eight students, driver killed in Haryana accident - Jan 02, 2012
- Three Rajasthan cops arrested in Chandigarh - May 22, 2010
- Two held with 380 liquor cartons in Chandigarh - Oct 20, 2010
- 8,500 bottles of smuggled liquor seized, two held - Sep 10, 2010
- 11 kids killed in Haryana accident (Second Lead) - Jan 02, 2012
- Jump in liquor sales ahead of Lucknow civic polls - Jun 23, 2012
- Punjab warns against illegal liquor at weddings - Nov 17, 2011
- Goa cops, excise staff step in to stop petrol smuggling - Jun 01, 2012
Tags: barricades, department spokesman, excise, haryana police, imfl, interrogation, invoices, liquor, police department, police official, police team, prohibition, registration number, state of gujarat, sunil kumar, taxation department, trucks, two persons, union territory