Haryana khap asks couple to end marriage, probe onApril 20th, 2011 - 10:50 pm ICT by IANS
Panipat, April 20 (IANS) Just a day after the Supreme Court directed state governments to rein in khap panchayats (caste councils) from issuing illegal diktats, another such directive came to light Wednesday in Haryana, where a newly married couple have been ordered to terminate their marriage as they belonged to the same sub-caste.
According to the police, Krishan, a resident of Shera village of Panipat district, had married Ramandeep, a resident of Sanch village of Kaithal district, April 10.
Just five days after their marriage, the khap panchayat of Shera village directed them to end their marriage as they were from the same gotra (sub-caste).
“My son Krishan belongs to Shandilya gotra whereas his wife belongs to Tushamad gotra. According to the khap panchayat of our village, boys and girls of Shandilya and Tushamad gotra are brother and sisters. They have threatened us to end this marriage and told the boy and girl to start living as brother and sister,” Krishnan’s father Raj Mal said Wednesday.
“We are very afraid as khap leaders can do anything. We have also filed a complaint with the police. In the meantime, we have sent the couple to a relative’s house in the neighbouring village,” he added.
Police said they were looking into the case.
“We have received a complaint in this regard. We have informed our senior officials and started the investigation. Police will not allow anybody to take law into their own hands and will provide full protection to the couple,” said Sub-Inspector Jagbir Singh, the investigation officer of the case.
- Haryana panchayat directs couple to annul marriage - May 18, 2010
- Police book members of Haryana 'khap panchayat' - Feb 05, 2010
- Haryana khap panchayat targets boy's family in caste row - Feb 28, 2010
- IFS woman's inter-caste marriage puts family under threat - Nov 02, 2011
- Boy elopes with girl, khap orders attack on kin - Aug 23, 2011
- Rules relaxed for couples to marry in Delhi - Sep 13, 2010
- Haryana village asks couple to end marriage, live as siblings - Jan 31, 2010
- Good news for couples, Delhi relaxes marriage rules (Lead) - Sep 13, 2010
- Tikait threatens Parliament's Gherao - May 23, 2010
- Vested interests and musclemen rule khap panchayats: Swami Agnivesh - Jun 20, 2010
- Security cover to family in caste row - Mar 03, 2010
- Five in Haryana to die for 'honour killings' (Third Lead) - Mar 30, 2010
- Khap leaders vow to defend honour killing convicts (Lead) - Apr 13, 2010
- Jindal supports Haryana's caste councils - May 09, 2010
- Good news for lovers - if Delhi relaxes marriage rules - Sep 12, 2010
Tags: boys and girls, brother and sister, brother and sisters, caste, kaithal, marriage, married couple, neighbouring village, panchayat, panipat, raj, regard, senior officials, state governments, supreme court, village boys