Haryana doctor gets fire insurance claim after 10 years (Lead)June 3rd, 2011 - 3:07 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, June 3 (IANS) After almost 10 years of legal battle to get insurance claim for medical instruments destroyed in a fire in his hospital, Haryana-based doctor M.M. Krishan will finally be getting his dues — thanks to the intervention of the National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission.
The commission has directed the insurance company to pay Rs.145,443 with nine percent interest to Krishan. Besides, the company has also been directed to pay Rs.10,000 for causing him mental and physical harassment.
According to Krishan, owner of Sunny Hospital in Haryana’s Panchkula district, he had a fire insurance from New India Assurance company limited. In 2002, a fire broke out in his hospital and medical equipments were destroyed.
Following this, the company’s surveyor submitted a report that the fire was ordinary and lasted for only 19 minutes, hence the insurance company rejected the claim.
“The surveyor had made a biased report as he wanted to settle some personal score with my client. We informed the company about this and they deputed another surveyor. But he also submitted a biased report to favour his colleague,” Pankaj Chandgothia, the doctor’s lawyer, said Friday.
“The national consumer commission admitted that the surveyor’s report was not right and it had many flaws. Therefore, the insurance company has been directed to pay all the claims with the appropriate interest,” he added.
- Haryana doctor to get insurance claim after 10 years - Jun 03, 2011
- Insurance firm orders risk assessment survey of properties - Dec 16, 2011
- An RTI query which may have averted AMRI blaze - Dec 22, 2011
- Rohtak medical student falls from hostel roof, dies - Jul 06, 2012
- Senior Haryana official found unconscious, hospitalized - Apr 14, 2012
- NHRC notice to Chhattisgarh on rampant uterus-removal surgeries - Jul 25, 2012
- Three private firms' directors booked for fraud - Feb 28, 2012
- Usher's ex-wife cannot afford life support system - Jul 16, 2012
- Can't fleece plot seekers, consumer court warns land agencies - Jul 26, 2012
- 3 percent of GDP to be spent on health: Montek - Sep 09, 2011
- Ruchika case: Punjab and Haryana High Court seeks details of Rathore's promotion - Nov 17, 2010
- Public sector health insurance companies for tailor-made policies - Aug 21, 2010
- Damage by cyclone Thane to lower general insurers' profits - Jan 03, 2012
- Chandigarh police busts gang of high-end car lifters - Oct 07, 2011
- Online registration starts in Haryana for commercial establishments - Feb 11, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,