Haryana discom to file police complaints for power theftMarch 13th, 2010 - 5:20 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, March 13 (IANS) Haryana power utility officials have been directed to register first information reports (FIRs) against consumers found stealing electricity.
Dakshin Haryana Bijli Vitran Nigam (DHBVN) managing director Anurag Aggarwal told senior officials at a meeting Saturday that it is obligatory to get an FIR lodged under provisions of the Electricity Act, 2003.
The act provides for three years imprisonment and penalty for power theft. Aggarwal said that first time offenders can pay fine and avoid punitive actions.
Aggarwal disclosed that under a special campaign launched by the DHBVN since December, 2009, 11,475 cases of power theft have been detected in 46,800 raids. A penalty of Rs.20 crore has been imposed on erring consumers.
The highest number of cases of thefts has been detected in Bhiwani district (3,518) followed by Hisar (2,944), Faridabad (1.881), Gurgaon (1,594), Narnaul (809) and Sirsa (613).
- Now, court cases to prevent power theft in Haryana - Feb 15, 2011
- 'Cut power supply of defaulting Haryana offices' - Mar 24, 2010
- Power defaulters pay Rs.14.7 crore - Dec 19, 2009
- Haryana asks ITES units to change power connections - Apr 27, 2011
- Power firm CA arrested for taking bribe - Feb 26, 2012
- Haryana power utility recovers Rs.59 crore from defaulters - Mar 14, 2010
- One-fourth of Gurgaon, Faridabad to get 24-hour power - May 14, 2012
- Haryana consumers to get power bill on SMS - Mar 05, 2011
- Power bill waiver: Rs.3,900 crore arrears for Haryana - Feb 29, 2012
- Haryana power agency collects record revenue - Sep 02, 2010
- Abandoned pit: Gurgaon contractor gets notice - Jul 10, 2012
- Haryana residents take to the streets over power woes - Jul 05, 2012
- Incentive for timely bill payment to Haryana panchayats - Sep 29, 2010
- Over 3.56 lakh lose power connections in Haryana - Apr 24, 2012
- Haryana to regularise illegal 'Kundi' power connections - Nov 18, 2010
Tags: bhiwani, consumers, crore, dhbvn, discom, electricity act, fir, first time offenders, gurgaon, imprisonment, managing director, narnaul, police complaints, provisions, punitive actions, senior officials, sirsa, utility officials, vitran