Harmeet, Mallika enter mixed doubles pre-quarters of World Junior TTNovember 17th, 2011 - 1:16 am ICT by IANS
Manama (Bahrain), Nov 16 (IANS) It was a mixed day for India at the Volkswagen World Junior Table Tennis Championships here Wednesday with Harmeet Desai and Mallika Bhandarkar entering the pre-quarterfinals in the mixed doubles while the pair of Soumyajit Ghosh and Manika Batra bowing out in the second round.
After accounting for the Puerto Rican pair in the first round, Desai and Bhandarkar defeated the English-Germany duo of Gavin Evas and Nina Mittelham 11-6,4-11,11-3,4-11,11-6 in a hard-fought battle that lasted more than an hour. The Indian pair now has a tough task in round of 16 where it will take on the Chinese duo of Hongyuan Song and Meng Chen.
Chief coach Bhawani Mukherjee exuded confidence in Desai and Bhandarkar saying that they can unsettle any opponent with their different style of play.
“It is not that she can’t attack but she prefers to slow down the game which may not suit the Chinese whereas Harmeet plays an attacking game,” he said.
Earlier, Ghosh and Batra beat James Pintea of Canada and Ellen Hwang of the US in straight games of 11-2, 11-8, 11-5 but lost to Chung Hei Chiu and Ching Wan Li 5-11, 7-11, 11-3, 13-15 in the subsequent round.
In the boys qualifiers, G. Sathyan beat Stephan Shaposhnikov of Russia 12-10, 11-4, 11-4, 11-7 to move into the second round.
- Harmeet, Soumyajit enter second round in World Junior TT - Nov 18, 2011
- Petroleum bag three out of four titles in National TT - Jan 05, 2012
- Indian team leaves for World Junior TT - Dec 03, 2010
- Asian Junior TT: Indian boys off to a winning start - Jul 20, 2011
- Asian Junior Table Tennis: Abhishek assures India of a bronze - Jul 24, 2011
- Indian boys lose to China in World junior TT - Nov 15, 2011
- India win eight titles in ITTF junior TT event - Oct 02, 2011
- Inter-Institutional TT: Manika, Shamini, Mouma lose - Aug 26, 2012
- Asian Junior TT: India's U-18 boys lose to China, settle for bronze - Jul 22, 2011
- Inter-institutional TT: Most seeded players in pre-quarters - Aug 26, 2012
- Paddler Harmeet Desai wins Brazil Open - Jun 17, 2012
- Asian Junior TT: Boys team carries medal hopes - Jul 19, 2011
- Junior TT players gear up for World Championship - Nov 11, 2011
- Qualifier Ankita Das storms into quarters of World Junior TT - Nov 19, 2011
- Olympic-bound paddlers leave for exposure trip - Jun 06, 2012
Tags: chief coach, ching, desai, different style, evas, fought battle, ghosh, hwang, indian pair, junior tt, manika, meng, mixed doubles, pintea, quarterfinals, sathyan, straight games, table tennis championships, volkswagen world, wan li