Harika in tie-break; Humpy gets bye in second roundSeptember 3rd, 2008 - 5:26 pm ICT by IANS
Nalchik (Russia), Sep 3 (IANS) World junior girls’ champion Dronavalli Harika was taken into the tie-breaker by higher ranked 11th seeded Slovenian Anna Muzychuk in the second game of the second round of the World Women’s Chess Championships.Harika and Muzychuk drew both their games Tuesday and will now figure in tie-break rapid games.
On Tuesday, Harika playing black, proved equal in the Sicilian Rossolimo game. In a rook ending, they drew in 61 moves.
Meanwhile, world No. 2 Koneru Humpy’s path was cleared a bit as she was first handed a bye in second round and then got the news that World Champion Xu Yuhua lost in the second round to Svetlana Matveeva 0.5-1.5. In the biggest upset Xu lost her first game and drew the second.
In the third round Humpy will meet Thanh Trang Hoang of Vietnam, who is way below her in ratings. Hoang beat Monicka Socko of Poland 1.5-0.5 in second round. Hoang is rated 2487 to Humpy 2662, which is the highest for any player in the tournament.
Tania Sachdev lost in the first round.
- Harika wins tie-break, enters pre-quarters of World Chess - Sep 04, 2008
- Humpy loses to China's Yifan for second straight time - Dec 19, 2010
- Asian Games chess: Harika wins bronze in women's individual chess - Nov 16, 2010
- Strong field for World junior chess - Aug 01, 2011
- Asian Games chess: Harika gets bronze, Sasikaran disappoints (Lead) - Nov 16, 2010
- Bulgarian extends lead in chess rapid, blitz World championships - Jun 03, 2012
- Mary Ann pockets title in National Chess - Nov 09, 2011
- India beat Turkey in women's chess team championship - Dec 20, 2011
- Tania moves into sole lead in women's national chess - Nov 02, 2011
- Asian Games chess: Indian men win bronze - Nov 26, 2010
- Humpy suffers shock defeat in first round - Jul 27, 2008
- Kore wins at Chennai Open chess to join leaders - Jan 10, 2012
- Asian Games: Mixed day for Indians in chess - Nov 14, 2010
- I'm relieved: Anand (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- Too tense to be happy: Anand - May 30, 2012