Harbhajan wishes Symonds good healthSeptember 13th, 2008 - 6:23 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, Sep 13 (IANS) As Australian all-rounder Andrew Symonds battles a “turbulent state of mind”, he has found an unexpected supporter in Indian off-spinner Harbhajan Singh with whom he had a run-in during the Indian tour of Down Under. Harbhajan, however, refused to comment on the controversial subject of Symonds’ exclusion from the Australia squad for the Border-Gavaskar Trophy in India next month.
“I don’t want to answer (questions about Symonds). I would prefer to look forward. He is obviously a great player and I hope he is well, and that he is getting better,” Harbhajan was quoted as saying by the Sydney Morning Herald.
Symonds was expelled on disciplinary grounds following his highly publicised fishing excursion during the Bangladesh one-day series. After that he has been put on rehabilitation by Cricket Australia (CA) to come out from what was described as a troubled state of mind.
The relationship between the two cricketers is not cordial after the controversial Test series in Australia earlier this year. Symonds levelled charges of racism against Harbhajan during the Sydney Test after which the Indian spinner was banned for three Test matches. But after pressure from the Indian cricket board, CA forced Symonds and his teammates to tone down charges of racism against Harbhajan and the spinner escaped only with a ban.
Symonds’ state of mind is now being attributed to that row during that controversial home series against India. He was was terribly upset with CA after he and his teammates were asked to “downgrade” charge of racial abuse to verbal abuse against Harbhajan Singh.
- Clarke, Dhoni feel there won't be a Monkeygate thanks to IPL - Jan 02, 2012
- History beckons both India and Australia but spotlight remains on Tendulkar - Jan 02, 2012
- Australian media digs up Monkeygate to tarnish Tendulkar's image - Jan 02, 2012
- Symonds retires from professional cricket - Feb 16, 2012
- 'Monkeygate' foes Symonds and Bhajji now Mumbai Indians dressing room IPL mates - Jan 09, 2011
- Symmo, Bhajji in the same eleven! - Jan 08, 2011
- Ex-ICC chief Speed's book reveals India-Oz Monkeygate 'collusion' - Apr 08, 2011
- Symonds, Bhajji finally make peace - May 08, 2011
- 'Curb on sledging affecting Australia's performance' - Dec 22, 2010
- India will remember Roebuck for his indictment of Australian team - Nov 13, 2011
- 2008 Monkeygate inspired India at Perth: Hussey - Jan 09, 2012
- Fan charged with racial abuse against Morkel - Jan 19, 2009
- Cummins may also miss ODI series: NSW chief - Jan 09, 2012
- Katich reprimanded for his comments on Clarke - Dec 05, 2011
- No rancour, India and Australia focus on game - Oct 01, 2010