Harassed over dowry, woman commits suicideMay 10th, 2011 - 11:48 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 10 (IANS) A 32-year-old woman committed suicide here allegedly following harassment by her in-laws for dowry, police said Tuesday.
Rekha, a primary school teacher, was found hanging in her house in Paschim Vihar area Monday evening by her in-laws.
She was taken to Balaji Hospital where doctors declared her dead. The body was then sent for post mortem at Deen Dayal Upadhyay hospital, police said.
According to police, Rekha had married Sanjeev, also a teacher, in 2007. But they had some problems since then.
“Rekha’s family has alleged that Sanjeev used to beat up her up for not bringing enough dowry and his mother was the main culprit,” said the officer.
Police have detained Sanjeev and his mother Om Lata for questioning about the allegations.
“An enquiry by the sub-divisional magistrate has also been launched,” the officer said.
–Indo-Asian News service
- Woman dies after jumping from metro station terrace - May 04, 2012
- Woman sets herself ablaze over dowry harassment - Jun 25, 2011
- Pregnant woman found dead, parents allege murder - Apr 09, 2011
- Dowry demand leads woman to suicide - Apr 19, 2012
- Delhi woman commits suicide - May 13, 2012
- Women beaten for dowry, loses vision - Aug 29, 2010
- Congress leader dies in mysterious circumstances - Aug 10, 2012
- Woman dies of burns, father alleges dowry death - Jan 28, 2011
- BPO employee commits suicide in Delhi - Dec 23, 2010
- Three police officials suspended for dereliction of duty - Jan 26, 2012
- CRPF trooper's wife found dead, dowry case filed - May 25, 2012
- Man killed in west Delhi - Jul 05, 2012
- Woman commits suicide, six held in dowry case - Jun 14, 2012
- Rajasthan girl seeks annulment of her child marriage - Jun 18, 2012
- Delhi woman killed by in-laws, husband - May 05, 2012