Harassed by cops, two girls drink poison; one dead (Lead)May 27th, 2010 - 10:50 pm ICT by IANS
Bhopal, May 27 (IANS) A 13-year-old girl in Madhya Pradesh died while her elder sister was battling for life Thursday after they consumed poison following harassment by two constables, who had allegedly clicked obscene photographs of one of them. A high-level probe has been ordered.
The incident took place in Madhya Pradesh’s Chhatarpur district, about 350 km from here.
While the younger girl died Wednesday, the elder one is being treated at a hospital in Jhansi in Uttar Pradesh, police said.
Two police constables, Kanhaiyalal and Arvind Patel, had allegedly caught the elder sister with her boyfriend May 21 in a deserted area. The cops snatched the mobile phone of the boy and forced him to leave the place, an official said.
They then allegedly molested the girl and clicked some obscene photographs of her with the mobile phone.
Next day, the girl filed a written complaint with Chhatarpur’s Additional Superintendent of Police Sushil Tiwari, stating that the constables had clicked obscene photographs of her and were harassing her.
“On receipt of the complaint, I checked the cell phones of the constables but there was nothing objectionable,” Tiwari told IANS.
“However, the constables were suspended with immediate effect and a departmental enquiry was ordered against them,” he added.
The sisters told their neighbours that the constables had come to their house Wednesday and were harassing them, police said.
Superintendent of Police Prem Singh Bisht said one of the constables accused of harassing the sisters suffered a heart attack on hearing that the girls had consumed poison in attempted suicide.
Raking a serious note of the incident, Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan asked the Additional Director General of Police (Intelligence) R.C. Arora and Inspector General of Police (Intelligence) K.N. Tiwari to probe the matter.
Home Minister Umashankar Gupta and state police chief S.K. Raut and other senior officers were present at the meeting called by Chouhan at the state secretariat.
- Harassed by cops, 2 sisters commit suicide; probe ordered (Second Lead) - May 28, 2010
- Cops accused of harassing sisters dismissed from service - May 28, 2010
- Harassed by cops, sisters attempt suicide; one dead - May 27, 2010
- Sisters' suicides being probed by rights panel - May 29, 2010
- Law student uploads woman's details on internet, held - May 12, 2012
- Engineering student held for morphing nude photos - Dec 10, 2010
- Goa cop booked for threatening magistrate - Jun 29, 2011
- Mystery shrouds couple's death in police custody - Jun 08, 2012
- Couple consume poison inside police officer's office - Aug 05, 2010
- Three arrested in sex scandal - Jan 23, 2011
- Hyderabad 'hostage' drama ends as suspended cop releases senior (Lead) - Sep 13, 2012
- Cop, accomplice booked for raping minors - Nov 16, 2011
- Minor girl raped, burnt alive - Jan 29, 2012
- Goa cop booked for circulating obscene video - May 04, 2012
- Madhya Pradesh ex-official faces sexual harassment case - Nov 27, 2011
Tags: arora, arvind, attempted suicide, bisht, chief minister, departmental enquiry, drink poison, elder sister, heart attack, home minister, jhansi, level probe, neighbours, obscene photographs, police constables, police intelligence, raut, sushil, two girls, younger girl