Happy that youth interested in country’s progress: PMAugust 15th, 2012 - 9:58 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 15 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Wednesday said he was “happy” that more and more people, especially the young, were taking interest in issues related to progress of the country and society.
“In my first message to the country after assuming the office of prime minister I had appealed to you to contribute to the sacred work of nation building,” he said in his Independence Day speech.
“I am very happy that today more of our citizens than ever before, and specially the youth, are taking interest in issues related to the progress of our society and country,” he said while addressing the nation from the Red Fort.
He said the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government believed that the difficult problems India faced could be resolved only with the cooperation of the common man.
“It will be our endeavour that in the coming time, still more people help us in tasks like removal of poverty, illiteracy and inequality,” he said.
He said no power in the world could stop India from achieving new heights.
“I believe that no power in the world can stop our country from achieving new heights of progress and development. What is needed is that we work together as one people for the success of our country. Let us once more resolve that we will continue to work for a progressive, modern and prosperous India,” he said in his ninth address to the nation.
- Text of Prime Minister's Independence Day speech - Aug 15, 2012
- Text of PM'S Independence Day Speech - Aug 15, 2011
- India needs to be poverty free, says PM - Aug 15, 2012
- Inequalities of caste, power influence Indian society: Sociologist - Aug 20, 2011
- PM to Pakistan: shake hands but end terror first (Lead) - Feb 24, 2011
- Medvedev urges Russians to improve country - Jan 01, 2012
- Text of president's speech - Aug 14, 2012
- Lack of political consensus hurting economy, says PM (Intro Roundup) - Aug 15, 2012
- Our moral universe is shrinking: Sonia Gandhi - Nov 19, 2010
- PM's address at National Integration Council meet - Sep 10, 2011
- Need national leaders from science, engineering: PM - Aug 18, 2012
- Assam should become a growth engine: PM - Apr 20, 2012
- Hamid Ansari greets nation ahead of Independence Day - Aug 14, 2010
- Terrorism a cancer, hope SAARC nations will fight it: PM - Jul 09, 2011
- India asks Pak to grasp 'hands of friendship' - Feb 24, 2011
Tags: citizens, common man, congress, cooperation, endeavour, illiteracy, independence day, India, inequality, manmohan, manmohan singh, nation building, New Delhi, one people, poverty, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, progressive alliance, sacred work