Happy Italians are being treated well: MisturaFebruary 23rd, 2012 - 5:00 pm ICT by IANS
Kochi, Feb 23 (IANS) Italy’s Deputy Foreign Minister Staffan de Mistura said Thursday that he was happy the way the two Italian Marines arrested for killing two Indian fishermen are being treated.
“We have expressed our appreciation in the manner in which they have been treated,” the minister told reporters here.
Mistura arrived here Wednesday night and then drove to Kottayam for a two- hour meeting with Chief Minister Oommen Chandy.
Two Indian fishermen, Ajesh Binki and Gelastine, were allegedly mistaken as pirates and shot dead by the security crew of cargo vessel Enrica Lexie Feb 15 off Alappuzha. Two Marines have been arrested for the shooting.
Latorre Massimillano and Salvatore Girone were remanded by a court in Kollam, 150 km from here, to 14 days of police custody.
A petition was filed in the Kerala High Court on behalf of two Marines Wenesday seeking quashing of the murder charges filed against them in the trial court.
- Will stay in Kerala till issue resolved: Italian minister - Mar 07, 2012
- Italian minister to meet fisherman family in Kollam - Mar 03, 2012
- Italians' police custody extended, Rome sticks to version (Roundup) - Feb 23, 2012
- Italian marines case: Kerala Police file chargesheet - May 18, 2012
- Families of detained Italians visit them in Trivandrum jail - Apr 19, 2012
- 'Italian ship Enrica Lexie cannot be allowed to leave' - Mar 15, 2012
- Arrested Italians to be produced in court - Feb 20, 2012
- Shooting row: Italian foreign minister in India Tuesday - Feb 26, 2012
- Italians' police custody extended, Rome offers cooperation (Intro Roundup) - Feb 23, 2012
- Judicial custody of Italian Marines extended - Apr 02, 2012
- Italian marines' bail plea rejected, remand extended to May 25 - May 11, 2012
- Family of killed fisherman refuses to meet Italian minister - Mar 04, 2012
- Judicial custody of Italian marines extended till May 11 - Apr 30, 2012
- Custody of Italian marines extended till April 2 - Mar 19, 2012
- Italian ship not to be let off until Monday, orders court - Feb 24, 2012
Tags: alappuzha, binki, cargo vessel, chief minister, foreign minister, girone, indian fishermen, italians, italy, kerala high court, kochi, lexie, marines, petition, pirates, police custody, salvatore, staffan de mistura, trial court, wednesday night