Hamilton vrooms, zooms & vows Bangalore fansSeptember 27th, 2011 - 3:36 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, Sep 27 (IANS) British Formula One (F1) driver Lewis Hamilton Tuesday stepped on the gas to vroom, zoom and vow about 10,000 frenzied fans on a 500-metre stretch on the outskirts of this tech hub in a McLaren Mercedes.
As in many of his Grand Prix races the world over, the 26-year-old Hamilton drove on an unused road of the Nandi Infrastructure Corridor Enterprise (NICE) Ltd, seated in the track suit of F1 car (MP4-23) in which he won his maiden World Championship in 2008.
Though there was no other to race or compete with him on the track, Hamilton was cheered and lapped up by the boisterous crowd for accelerating within seconds after leaving the pit and racing to the other end in a jiffy on a hot and humid forenoon.
Apart from swaying the car zig-zag and going in circles with the front wheel locked while rear tyres turned rapidly emitting thick smoke, Hamilton displayed some breathtaking stunts, including back-up spin over (reversing, tucking around and straightening) with deafening screeching sound.
As thousands of fans missed his first race demo due to unprecedented rush and chaotic scenes at the open venue, a sportive Hamilton readily agreed to do another round of race before the curtains came down on the one-hour show of speed, brute force and bravado.
Making his fourth visit to India but first to Bangalore, Hamilton also treated a couple of Vodafone (sponsor) contest winners and select celebrities on the fast lane for hot laps, demonstrating his extraordinary motor racing skills and expertise in handling sports cars with aplomb.
With the maiden Indian Grand Prix to be held at Greater Noida near New Delhi Oct 28-30, excitement gripped the young, trendy and die-hard motor sports fans, who came to the venue in droves for a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to witness a racing superstar and an F1 car.
- More Grand Prix will popularise motor racing: Hamilton (Lead) - Sep 27, 2011
- Bumpy ride for Karthikeyan and Chandhok - Oct 23, 2011
- Karthikeyan trying to get a race before Indian GP - Sep 02, 2011
- Indian Grand Prix a job well done (Comment) - Oct 30, 2011
- It is all done at a breakneck speed - Oct 29, 2011
- D'Ambrosio to replace Grosjean for Italian GP - Sep 05, 2012
- Rosberg wins maiden F1 race in China, Force India draw blank - Apr 15, 2012
- Button wins Australian GP, Force India's Di Resta gets a point - Mar 18, 2012
- Sentimental backing for Force India, 'Dream come true' for Karthikeyan (Preview) - Oct 27, 2011
- Entire F1 fraternity is agog about Indian Grand Prix: Karthikeyan - Oct 16, 2011
- Chinese GP: Rosberg takes maiden F1 pole, Force India out of top-10 - Apr 14, 2012
- Indian Grand Prix will be spectacular, feels Hamilton - Sep 17, 2010
- Vettel wins a near perfect race, Sutil finishes ninth (Roundup) - Oct 30, 2011
- Indian GP confirmed for Oct 2012, US round also included - Dec 08, 2011
- Maldonado wins maiden F1 race, Hulkenberg comes 10th - May 13, 2012
Tags: boisterous crowd, brute force, f1 driver, forenoon, frenzied fans, going in circles, greater noida, hot laps, lewis hamilton, lifetime opportunity, mclaren mercedes, metre stretch, motor sports fans, nandi infrastructure corridor enterprise, open venue, race demo, rear tyres, thick smoke, track suit, vroom