Hamilton takes pole in Malaysian GP, Force India disappointMarch 24th, 2012 - 5:33 pm ICT by IANS
Sepang (Malaysia), March 24 (IANS) McLaren repeated their performance at Melbourne with Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button settling the front row in the Formula One Malaysian Grand Prix qualifying here Saturday. Sahara Force India failed to make the top-10.
Hamilton’s first flying lap of 1:36.219 in Q3 was enough for the 21st pole of his career. Button pipped Michael Schumacher for the second spot with 1:36.368, as just .4 seconds covered the top eight drivers. Schumacher’s 1:36.391 was his best qualifying result since returning to F1 in 2010.
Red Bull Racing’s Mark Webber and Sebastian Vettel were fourth and sixth fastest, in between Lotus’ Kimi Raikkonen. The Finn, however, will start from 10th on the grid after being penalised for a gearbox change.
Force India’s of Paul di Resta and Nico Hulkenberg finished 14th and 16th.
Di Resta had already expressed his doubts of breaking into Q3 with very little separating the mid-field teams.
Hulkenberg, who managed a top-10 grid position in Australia, was back in the pits in the initial part of Q2. The Silverstone-based team though are confident of a better race pace Sunday.
“Our race pace should be better than what we produced in qualifying, so we can still compete. But it is pretty warm in the car,” said di Resta referring to the hot and humid conditions at the Sepang International Circuit.
Narain Karthikeyan will be seen on the starting grid for the first time in the season after both HRTs lapped within 107 percent of the fastest time.
Karthikyean will start 23rd as Caterham’s Heikki Kovalainen will drop from 19th to last for a grid penalty incurred at Albert Park last weekend. Pedro de la Rosa will begin the race one place ahead of his Indian teammate.
- Force India's Di Resta feels making Q3 will be tough - Mar 23, 2012
- Alonso wins dramatic Malaysian GP, Force India in top-10 - Mar 25, 2012
- German GP: Alonso zooms to second straight pole - Jul 21, 2012
- Chinese GP: Rosberg takes maiden F1 pole, Force India out of top-10 - Apr 14, 2012
- Vettel equals pole record in Abu Dhabi, Force India secure top-10 finish - Nov 12, 2011
- Alonso takes pole in British GP qualifying, Nico 9th fastest - Jul 08, 2012
- Button races to 1st pole for McLaren in Belgium - Sep 01, 2012
- Force India's di Resta 8th fastest in Canadian GP qualifying - Jun 10, 2012
- Vettel claims another pole, Sutil sneaks into 10th at European GP - Jun 25, 2011
- Di Resta fetches a point for Force India - Apr 10, 2011
- Hamilton bags pole in Australia - Mar 17, 2012
- Vettel wins Bahrain GP, Force India's Di Resta finishes sixth - Apr 23, 2012
- Monaco GP: Webber on pole, Hulkenberg miss top-10 - May 26, 2012
- Vettel claims pole in Hungarian GP, Sutil 8th fastest - Jul 30, 2011
- McLaren lock front row in Italy - Sep 08, 2012
Tags: force india, grid position, heikki kovalainen, hrts, humid conditions, kimi raikkonen, malaysian gp, malaysian grand prix, mark webber, michael schumacher, mid field, narain karthikeyan, nico hulkenberg, pedro de la rosa, race pace, red bull racing, sebastian vettel, sepang international circuit, sepang malaysia, starting grid