Hamilton charges to pole in Hungarian GPJuly 28th, 2012 - 9:08 pm ICT by IANS
Budapest, July 28 (IANS/RIA Novosti) McLaren’s Lewis Hamilton took pole position at the Hungarian Grand Prix Saturday, leaving his rivals in the dust with a blistering final flying lap.
Hamilton’s pole is the 150th in McLaren’s history. Hamilton’s time of 1 minute 20.953 seconds was more than four-tenths of a second faster than Romain Grosjean who took second for Lotus.
Reigning World Champion Sebastian Vettel was third for Red Bull in 1 minute 21.416 seconds, ahead of Hamilton’s teammate Jenson Button and Grosjean’s teammate Kimi Raikkonen.
The two Ferraris of championship leader Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa were sixth and seventh, while Williams had a strong qualifying session, getting Pastor Maldonado into eighth and Bruno Senna ninth. Nico Hulkenberg will start 10th for Force India.
Vettel’s teammate Mark Webber failed to make it into the top-ten shootout, missing the cut-off margin by 0.062 seconds in the second session, and he will start 11th.
Mercedes endured a torrid qualifying, with both drivers eliminated in the second session. Nico Rosberg will start Sunday’s race 13th, with his teammate and seven-time champion Michael Schumacher 17th.
Russian driver Vitaly Petrov will start 20th for Caterham after setting a time of 1 minute 24.167 seconds, one place and half a second behind his Finnish teammate Heikki Kovalainen.
Both Red Bulls narrowly escaped dropping into the elimination zone in the first session, with Mark Webber 16th and Sebastian Vettel 17th.
- German GP: Alonso zooms to second straight pole - Jul 21, 2012
- Button fastest in rain-hit German Grand Prix first practice - Jul 20, 2012
- Vettel takes pole, di Resta 10th in Bahrain - Apr 21, 2012
- Button wins in chaotic Belgian GP - Sep 02, 2012
- Vettel edges Hamilton for Malaysian Grand Prix pole - Apr 09, 2011
- McLaren lock front row in Italy - Sep 08, 2012
- Canadian GP: Hamilton 7th different winner in 2012 - Jun 11, 2012
- Hamilton bags pole in Australia - Mar 17, 2012
- Button races to 1st pole for McLaren in Belgium - Sep 01, 2012
- Vettel equals pole record in Abu Dhabi, Force India secure top-10 finish - Nov 12, 2011
- Hamilton leads McLaren resurgence - Jul 27, 2012
- Webber grabs Malaysia GP pole - Apr 03, 2010
- German GP: Alonso cruises to season's third win - Jul 22, 2012
- Chinese GP: Rosberg takes maiden F1 pole, Force India out of top-10 - Apr 14, 2012
- Hamilton fastest in Chinese GP first practice - Apr 13, 2012
Tags: bruno senna, champion michael schumacher, championship leader, felipe massa, fernando alonso, force india, heikki kovalainen, hungarian gp, hungarian grand prix, kimi raikkonen, mark webber, nico hulkenberg, pastor maldonado, red bulls, ria novosti, russian driver, sebastian vettel, time champion, vitaly petrov, world champion