Hamburg seal late win over Cologne in BundesligaFebruary 13th, 2012 - 4:16 pm ICT by IANS
Berlin, Feb 13 (IANS) Hamburg wrapped up a late win against Cologne thanks to striker Jose Paolo Guerrero while bottom-placed sides Augsburg and Nuremberg shared points to close the 21st round of German Bundesliga football on Sunday.
Hamburg staged an offensive performance against passive Cologne but were unable to score in the first half.
After interval, Cologne found their way into the match but they also failed to utilise their few goal-scoring opportunities. It looked as both sides would agree on a draw but two minutes before final whistle Hamburg striker Guerrero lobbed over Cologne goalkeeper Michael Rensing to ensure his side’s upward trend at the Bundesliga standing.
Hamburg jumped from 12th to 10th position on 26 points while Nuremberg plunged from 9th to 12th position with 24 points.
“We fought until the end. What is important is that we have won to take three points home with us,” Hamburg coach Thorsten Fink was quoted as saying by Xinhua.
In the other matches Sunday, Augsburg and Nuremberg shared points after a goalless draw.
Both sides remain on their positions. Augsburg were ranked on 17th position with 18 points and Nuremberg 14th with 22 points.
- Dortmund defeat Freiburg, Nuremberg stun Leverkusen in Bundesliga - Dec 18, 2011
- Cologne, Bremen celebrate goal festival at Bundesliga - Dec 11, 2011
- Monchengladbach draw with Hamburg in Bundesliga - Feb 25, 2012
- Bayern lose top position to Dortmund in German Bundesliga - Feb 05, 2012
- Dortmund share point with Nuremberg - Sep 02, 2012
- Mainz share points with Hoffenheim in Bundesliga - Feb 18, 2012
- Bayern Munich reduces Dortmund's lead - Apr 01, 2012
- Bayern on top with unconvincing victory over Wolfsburg - Jan 29, 2012
- Nuremberg stun Monchengladbach in Bundesliga - Mar 05, 2012
- Borussia Dortmund edge out Bayern Munich in Bundesliga - Nov 20, 2011
- Bayern stage faultless performance to stay on top - Sep 25, 2011
- Hamburg earns second victory in Bundesliga - Oct 17, 2011
- Hannover defeat Monchengladbach 2-1 in Bundesliga - Apr 03, 2012
- Mainz shock Stuttgart 3-1 in Bundesliga - Nov 05, 2011
- Bayern Munich claims win against newcomer - Aug 26, 2012
Tags: augsburg, berlin, bundesliga, coach, cologne, goalkeeper, hamburg, interval, jose paolo guerrero, match, nuremberg, offensive performance, thorsten fink, two minutes, upward trend, whistle, xinhua