Hamas, Fatah start reconciliation meeting in CairoFebruary 26th, 2009 - 5:40 pm ICT by IANS
Cairo, Feb 26 (DPA) Rival Palestinian factions Hamas and Fatah started national unity talks in Cairo Thursday to overcome a bitter split between rival governments in the West bank and Gaza.
The Cairo meeting, sponsored by Egyptian intelligence Chief Omar Suleiman, urged Palestinian factions to overcome their disputes and focus on the best interests of the Palestinian people.
The Palestinian factions will discuss the formation of five committees to work toward a unity government, Suleiman said. Both Hamas and Fatah will be represented in these committees, which will begin meeting March 8.
The five areas to be dealt with by the committees include reconciliation, elections, interim government, security, and PLO-Hamas integration.
Hamas and Fatah Wednesday had agreed to stop attacking each other in the news media in order to foster “a positive atmosphere” ahead of the talks.
Also, the Fatah-controlled Palestinian National Authority in the West Bank released 40 Hamas prisoners as a sign of goodwill ahead of the talks.
The Palestinian reconciliation conference will bring together more than 10 Palestinian factions in Cairo with the aim of establishing a unified Palestinian government.
Hamas took over the Gaza strip from Fatah in 2007.
- Palestinian rivals prepare for Cairo summit - Nov 13, 2011
- Palestine: Fatah, Hamas reach agreement on reconciliation - Apr 28, 2011
- Hamas, Fatah to finalise unity government talks next week - Jun 15, 2011
- Hamas, Fatah leaders to finalize reconciliation deal - Oct 13, 2011
- Hundreds of Palestinians celebrate unity deal - May 04, 2011
- Early Palestinian elections to be proposed - Oct 02, 2011
- India welcomes Fatah-Hamas agreement - May 06, 2011
- Hamas, Fatah sign reconciliation deal - May 05, 2011
- Palestine rivals Fatah, Hamas agree to form interim unity government - Apr 28, 2011
- Palestinian group accuses Obama of u-turn - May 25, 2011
- Palestinians to apply for UN status despite pressure: Abbas - Sep 08, 2012
- Hamas PM reshuffles cabinet - Sep 03, 2012
- Palestinian's national unity government likely in ten days: official - May 28, 2011
- Israel calls Palestinian deal a 'fatal mistake' - Apr 29, 2011
- Hamas accuses Fatah of blocking dialogue - Mar 15, 2009