Hamas, Fatah fail to agree on dialogue agendaMarch 23rd, 2008 - 4:36 am ICT by admin
Sanaa, March 23 (DPA) Talks between the Palestinian movements Hamas and Fatah broke down Saturday after negotiators from the two rival factions failed to reach an agreement on a Yemeni plan to reconcile them. The delegates held indirect talks through Yemeni mediators at the Yemeni Foreign Ministry in Sanaa and walked out, refusing to speak to reporters.
Talks focused on a Yemeni initiative to bring Hamas leaders together with their counterparts from Fatah for a reconciliation dialogue in Sanaa in April.
Yemeni Foreign Minister Abu-Bakr al-Qerbi told reporters following the meeting that a draft agreement on an agenda and a timetable for the proposed dialogue had been agreed on by the two factions, but had yet to be approved by Hamas top leaders.
“Hamas delegates have asked us to give them more time to consult their leadership,” al-Qerbi said. He said the Fatah negotiators were ready to sign the agreement.
Yemen has offered to mediate between Hamas and Fatah, urging Hamas to end its control of the Gaza Strip.
The seizure of Gaza by Hamas prompted the Western-backed Abbas to dismiss the Hamas-led cabinet and form a transitional government in the West Bank.
Under the Yemeni plan, Hamas would return the situation in the Gaza Strip to its previous condition before initiating a dialogue with Fatah.
A source close to the negotiations said the movement had demanded that the Yemeni plan be modified to add a term under which Abbas should annul his decrees dismissing the democratically elected Islamist Hamas government.
“Hamas expressed readiness to initiate a dialogue if Fatah agrees to return the situation in the West Bank to the way it was before June 2007, and to recognize the Hamas government,” the source said on condition of anonymity.
- Palestine: Fatah, Hamas reach agreement on reconciliation - Apr 28, 2011
- Palestinian rivals prepare for Cairo summit - Nov 13, 2011
- Hundreds of Palestinians celebrate unity deal - May 04, 2011
- Hamas, Fatah sign reconciliation deal - May 05, 2011
- Palestine denies reports of reconciliation with Hamas - Jun 19, 2010
- Hamas, Fatah to finalise unity government talks next week - Jun 15, 2011
- Hamas, Fatah leaders to finalize reconciliation deal - Oct 13, 2011
- Hamas announces the formation of new Gaza government - Mar 11, 2011
- Palestinians agree to prohibit internal violence - Mar 14, 2009
- Yemen's President Saleh negotiating his departure - Mar 27, 2011
- Palestinian reconciliation unlikely in 2012: Hamas official - Mar 31, 2012
- Palestinians to apply for UN status despite pressure: Abbas - Sep 08, 2012
- Early Palestinian elections to be proposed - Oct 02, 2011
- Palestinians not optimistic about peace with new Israeli government - May 09, 2012
- Palestinian reconciliation talks in 'final stages': Hamas - Jan 04, 2010