HAL chopper lands atop building; pilots safe (Lead)April 13th, 2012 - 12:35 am ICT by IANS
Bangalore, April 12 (IANS) A chopper of the state-run Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd’s training academy Thursday made an emergency landing atop a building in the eastern suburb of the city, with both of its pilots escaping with minor injuries, the defence behemoth said.
“The Schweizer-300C helicopter of our rotary wing academy, which was on a training sortie, landed on top a building near BEML (Bharat Earth Movers Ltd), Kalyana Mantap in the eastern suburb. Its pilots Air Commodore (Retd) Roj Assey, 56, and trainee captain Digvijay Singh, 25, ejected safely with minor injuries,” a HAL official told IANS.
The chopper was on a training sortie over the city for about 130 minutes when it suddenly lost altitude and descended before landing on the rooftop of a private building.
“Assey brought the chopper in control and decided to land atop the building as there was no open space available in the densely-populated locality,” the official recalled.
Though there was no damage to the building and pilots escaped with minor injuries, the chopper suffered damage.
The company has ordered an inquiry to investigate the cause of the mishap.
The US-made piston-powered Schweizer helicopters are used for training rookie pilots in flying light utility choppers for multiple roles, including rescue and relief missions. Its weaponised version is used in surveillance and combat operations.
– Indo-Asian News Service
- Chetak chopper crashes, pilots escape with minor injuries (Lead) - Aug 27, 2010
- Chetak chopper crashes, pilots safe - Aug 27, 2010
- Munda recovering in hospital after chopper crash - May 10, 2012
- 17 killed in Arunachal chopper crash in (Second Lead) - Apr 19, 2011
- 17 die in Arunachal chopper crash (Third Lead) - Apr 19, 2011
- Chopper crashes at Siachen, pilot killed (Lead) - May 23, 2012
- Army chopper crashes in Siachen, pilot killed - May 23, 2012
- Flying school helicopter crashes, pilot safe - Oct 12, 2011
- Asaram Bapu survives chopper crash, probe ordered - Aug 29, 2012
- Munda recovering in hospital after chopper crash (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Pilot wisdom saved Munda and others - May 09, 2012
- Helicopter with 23 aboard crashes in Arunachal Pradesh (Lead) - Apr 19, 2011
- Chidambaram concludes three-day Kashmir visit - Jun 22, 2011
- Arunachal chief minister's chopper lands safely in Bhutan (Lead) - Apr 30, 2011
- Chopper crashes in Chandigarh airport, pilots injured (Lead) - Dec 16, 2010
Tags: air commodore, asian news, assey, behemoth, bharat earth movers ltd, chopper lands, combat operations, earth movers, eastern suburb, emergency landing, kalyana, mantap, minor injuries, mishap, relief missions, roj, rotary wing, schweizer 300c, schweizer helicopters, training academy