Haj tour operators demand release of quotaSeptember 12th, 2011 - 2:37 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Sep 12 (IANS) With the Haj 2011 season fast approaching, over 600 private tour operators and 50,000 prospective pilgrims are in a quandary as the central government has not yet finalised the quota for them, a top official said.
The Indian Haj Umrah Association (IHUA) and Khaddaml Hujjaj Foundation (KHF) said the government’s delay has put a question mark over the people’s plans to go for Haj, make their travel and accommodation plans and other preparations.
“We submitted our application files promptly within the July 15 deadline, but the ministry of external affairs has yet to take any decision on the issue,” KHF chief A.M. Athar told IANS.
Similarly, IHUA president Mufti A.R. Milli said the Haj season has virtually started but so far there is no move by the centre over the private Haj operators’ quota allocations.
This year, the Saudi Arabian government had allocated a quota of 172,540 pilgrims from this country, Athar said.
While around 125,000 will go to perform Haj through the Haj Committee of India, the remaining shall go through private tour operators. How many pilgrims each operator gets to take is a quota decided by the government.
“While the Haj Committee will charge around Rs.1.25 lakh, we shall charge upto Rs.200,000 per head for the entire pilgrimage, all inclusive,” Athar said.
The immediate impact of this would be a hike in air fares which the Hajis going through private operators would have to bear additionally, besides an increase in the cost of accommodation at various destinations during the Haj, he said.
India has over 150 million Muslims, next only to Indonesia and Pakistan in numbers.
- Court curbs on Haj quota of private tour operators - Sep 19, 2011
- Licences of 170 Haj tour operators cancelled - Sep 16, 2011
- Apex court backs women tour operators on Haj quota (Lead) - Apr 30, 2012
- Apex court backs women tour operators on Haj quota - Apr 30, 2012
- Haj VIP quota is bad: Supreme Court - Oct 18, 2011
- Remove Haj subsidy in 10 years, SC tells government (Third Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Three Indian Haj pilgrims die - Oct 07, 2011
- Apex court seeks details of Haj quota - May 08, 2012
- Remove Haj subsidy in 10 years, SC tells government (Second Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Haj subsidy to end in 10 years, rules Supreme Court (Roundup) - May 08, 2012
- VIP quota for Haj pilgrimage cut by apex court (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- India pays Rs.600 crore as Haj subsidy annually - May 08, 2012
- Arrangements in place for Haj pilgrims: Civil aviation ministry - Sep 16, 2010
- SC declines government's plea on VIP Haj quota - Jul 27, 2012
- Over 23,000 Indians arrive in Saudi Arabia for Haj - Oct 05, 2011
Tags: accommodation plans, air fares, athar, central government, haj committee of india, hajis, indonesia, khf, milli, ministry of external affairs, muslims, pilgrimage, pilgrims, private operators, private tour operators, quandary, question mark, quota allocations, rs 1, saudi arabian government