Haiti school building collapse toll touches 30 (Lead)November 8th, 2008 - 8:31 am ICT by IANS
Port-au-Prince, Nov 8 (DPA) The death toll in the school building collapse in the Petion Ville suburb of Haitian capital Port-au-Prince Friday has touched 30, while more than 100 were injured, Haitian Radio Metropole reported.The Evangelical Promise school in the area of Nerette collapsed at around 10 a.m. Friday, with some 700 students inside, the report said. The three-storey school educated students from kindergarten to middle school.
The children were in their classrooms at the time of the collapse, Michaele Gedeon, president of Haiti’s Red Cross told CNN. “The whole school collapsed on the kids,” she said.
The cause of the collapse was not known.
“We are having difficulty removing students from the rubble because we don’t have heavy duty search-and-rescue equipment,” said Alex Claudon, also of the Red Cross. He said the number of casualties could be very high.
Gedeon wasn’t at the site, but said she could hear rescuers calming down injured students as she coordinated emergency efforts over the phone.
“On the phone you can hear so many children crying … and saying, ‘This one is dead, that one is dead’,” Gedeon told CNN.
- Seven killed as school building collapses in Haiti - Nov 08, 2008
- 30 killed as school building collapses in Haiti (Second Lead) - Nov 08, 2008
- Haiti building collapse toll rises to 84 - Nov 09, 2008
- Quake destroys homes, damages public buildings in Haiti - Jan 13, 2010
- Hundreds feared dead in massive earthquake in Haiti (Third Lead) - Jan 13, 2010
- Tens of thousands feared dead in Haitian earthquake (Second Lead) - Jan 14, 2010
- Massive earthquake devastates Haiti (Second Lead) - Jan 13, 2010
- Thousands feared killed as massive quake hits Haiti (Fourth Lead) - Jan 14, 2010
- Violence erupts after presidential elections in Haiti - Dec 09, 2010
- 170,000 bodies of quake victims recovered in Haiti - Jan 29, 2010
- 'Tens of thousands' killed in Haiti quake - Jan 14, 2010
- Relief effort ramps up in Haiti as survivor window closes - Jan 17, 2010
- Report: Americans injured in Port-au-Prince incident - Jan 18, 2010
- 27 dead in Haiti truck crash - Apr 09, 2012
- Thousands feared dead as massive earthquake destroys Haiti's capital - Jan 13, 2010