Haiti building collapse toll rises to 84November 9th, 2008 - 1:26 pm ICT by IANS
Port-au-Prince, Nov 9 (DPA) As rescue workers continued to dig through the rubble, the number of dead early Sunday had reached 84 in the collapse of a Haitian school as special rescue teams from the US and France rushed to help to survivors from the rubble.An estimated 200 more children and possibly teachers are believed to still be buried in the rubble of the Petion Ville suburb of the Haitian capital Port-au-Prince, Radio Metropole reported Saturday.
The school collapsed Friday morning as an estimated 700 students were in the building.
Rescue workers had contact with some of the victims in the rubble and were able to talk to and supply them with water.
Hundreds of despairing parents and family members blocked the access road to the school, which is narrow and had constricted access to the accident site from the beginning.
Rescuers used their bare hands to dig out the rubble.
Another 100 students and teachers were injured when the Evangelical Promise school in the area of Nerette collapsed at around 10 a.m. (1500 GMT) Friday.
The three-storey school teach students from kindergarten to high school.
The number of dead could not yet be officially determined, because many of the children and teachers were still trapped in the ruins, Mayor Clair Lydie Parent said.
The children were in their classrooms at the time of the collapse, Michaele Gedeon, president of Haiti’s Red Cross, told CNN.
“The whole school collapsed on the kids,” she said.
The cause of the collapse was not known.
- 30 killed as school building collapses in Haiti (Second Lead) - Nov 08, 2008
- Seven killed as school building collapses in Haiti - Nov 08, 2008
- Haiti school building collapse toll touches 30 (Lead) - Nov 08, 2008
- Quake destroys homes, damages public buildings in Haiti - Jan 13, 2010
- Woman found alive after one week in ruins - Jan 20, 2010
- Hundreds feared dead in massive earthquake in Haiti (Third Lead) - Jan 13, 2010
- 170,000 bodies of quake victims recovered in Haiti - Jan 29, 2010
- Thousands in Haiti capital's streets amid death, destruction - Jan 14, 2010
- Thousands feared killed as massive quake hits Haiti (Fourth Lead) - Jan 14, 2010
- 10 kids rescued from Haitian human smuggler - Jul 28, 2011
- United Nations plans on re-opening schools in Haiti in April - Feb 13, 2010
- Massive earthquake devastates Haiti (Second Lead) - Jan 13, 2010
- Miracle as two women pulled out alive week after Haiti quake - Jan 20, 2010
- Relief effort ramps up in Haiti as survivor window closes - Jan 17, 2010
- Unesco to help restore Haitian cultural heritage - Mar 11, 2010