Had Kanda sexually exploited Geetika?August 18th, 2012 - 7:52 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 18 (IANS) Delhi Police are planning to match the vaginal swab taken from Geetika Sharma, a former flight attendant who committed suicide, with the semen samples of arrested former Haryana minister Gopal Kanda who she blamed for her death.
Kanda was arrested Saturday after he surrendered at a police station in the capital and has been remanded to seven days in police custody.
The police told IANS they plan to take a sample of Kanda’s semen soon.
A Delhi Police official told IANS that they plan to match the samples taken from the young woman with that of Kanda.
Geetika’s 11-page post-mortem examination report, accessed by IANS, suggests that she had had sex two days before she committed suicide on Aug 5.
The post-mortem was conducted by a joint team of four doctors from Maulana Azad Medical College and Lok Nayak Hospital. The report suggests that the young woman frequently had sex.
“The samples of Geetika’s vaginal and anal swabs will be matched with Kanda’s semen,” the officer told IANS. If traces of his semen are found, then it strengthens the police case against Kanda.
Kanda and Aruna Chaddha, an employee of his defunct MDLR airlines, were booked for abetment to suicide and criminal intimidation after they were named in the two-page suicide note Geetika wrote and left behind.
The 23-year-old woman was found dead at her north Delhi Ashok Vihar residence Aug 5. Her suicide notes alleged that the two harassed her and had ruined her life. Both Kanda and Chaddha have denied the allegations.
Geetika worked as a flight attendant in MDLR Airlines owned by Kanda. After the airlines ceased to function in 2009, she was given a job in another company owned by him.
Kanda, an Independent MLA, resigned from the Haryana ministry the day after Geetika’s suicide.
Police have earlier told a city court that Chaddha had confirmed that Geetika had gone for an abortion to a Lajpat Nagar clinic. Chaddha, arrested on Aug 8 and now in judicial custody, told investigators that MDLR operated only three aircraft and had 60 air hostesses working with the company.
Kanda went underground Aug 8 when he was served with a notice to join investigations. He also sought an anticipatory bail from a sessions court and the Delhi High Court, but was turned down. Delhi Police are to interrogate Kanda to get leads about the three missing computers he used.
The computers are expected to give crucial leads in the case. Ankit Ahluwalia, MDLR legal advisor, told investigators that he had called up Geetika on her mobile phone a day before she ended her life.
Ahluwalia spoke to Geetika on Aug 3 night when she was in Mumbai to attend her brother Ankit Sharma’s fashion show. He spoke to both Ankit and Geetika. “After that my sister looked very depressed,” Geetika’s cousin Gaurav told IANS.
Geetika’s brother Ankit said his sister’s Facebook account has been deactivated.
“I have informed the DCP about it. I don’t know who or how it was done. Kanda is behind it,” Ankit alleged.
Delhi Police have conducted over 60 searches and raids in Haryana, Goa and Siliguri in West Bengal, besides questioning about 30 people in connection with the case.
The former Haryana minister’s brother Govind Kanda was also arrested when Friday evening he went to police to inform them that Kanda would surrender. Govind has been arrested for allegedly helping his brother evade police custody.
- Court again rejects cops' plea seeking Chaddha's custody - Aug 21, 2012
- Kanda arrested after surrender, to be taken to court (Second Lead) - Aug 18, 2012
- Geetika suicide: Kanda evades reply to 7 key questions - Aug 19, 2012
- Police to question Chaddha for three more days (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Kanda will be arrested soon, says police (Second Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Geetika suicide: Chaddha sent to a day's judicial custody - Aug 20, 2012
- Police scan Kanda's 400 SMS to Geetika - Aug 12, 2012
- Raids on Kanda's homes, offices continue - Aug 09, 2012
- Court denies Kanda shield against arrest (Second Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Raids continue on Kanda's homes, offices (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Cops summon Kanda for questioning in Geetika suicide - Aug 08, 2012
- Aruna Chaddha moves bail application - Aug 31, 2012
- Court issues warrant against Kanda (Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- Geetika suicide: Chaddha to be questioned for another day - Aug 11, 2012
- Suicide notes written on day of Geetika's death: Police - Aug 24, 2012
Tags: aruna, ashok, criminal intimidation, delhi police, flight attendant, haryana minister, independent mla, lajpat nagar, maulana azad medical college, mdlr airlines, mortem examination, nayak, north delhi, police case, police custody, police official, post mortem, semen samples, suicide note, vaginal swab