Hacker group Anonymous could cause power outage in USFebruary 22nd, 2012 - 9:03 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Feb 22 (IANS) Hacker group Anonymous within the next year or two could bring about a limited power outage in the US through a cyber attack, a top official has said.
The group has earlier taken down the websites of the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the Department of Justice, Xinhua reported.
Keith Alexander, director of the National Security Agency (NSA) warned in meetings at the White House and in other private sessions that Anonymous could have the ability to bring about a power outage, said the Wall Street Journal.
Alexander did not publicly express concern about the potential of Anonymous to disrupt power supply, but warned that cyber attackers could disable or even damage computer networks.
The Wall Street Journal said any attack by Anonymous directed at the power grid was likely to inflict limited damage, but would be certain to create alarm, especially if Anonymous took credit publicly.
Grid officials said their systems face regular attacks, and that they devote tremendous resources to repelling invaders.
Officials explained that the electric grid has a number of backup systems that allow utilities to restore power quickly if it is taken down in a cyber attack.
- Cyber arms race could change the world around us (Comment) - Jun 27, 2012
- Obama urges Congress to pass cybersecurity bill - Jul 20, 2012
- Hackers can force a jet's crash, warns British report - Oct 19, 2010
- China declines supporting cyber attackers - Mar 30, 2012
- Power will return by 7-7:30 p.m.: Power Grid - Jul 31, 2012
- Hackers attack Apple's website, claim they stole passwords - Jul 05, 2011
- US cyber command chief says military computer networks vulnerable to attack - Jun 04, 2010
- 'Multi-pronged strategy need to tackle cyber terror' - Aug 28, 2012
- India creating architecture to ensure cyber security: NSA - May 16, 2012
- Hackers say they obtained US police information - Aug 08, 2011
- Hackers target Mexican government websites - Sep 17, 2011
- Power supply hit in north India - Jul 30, 2012
- Over 8,000 cyber attacks on CWG ticketing system: Menon - Aug 12, 2011
- 90,000 email addresses hacked from US military contractor - Jul 12, 2011
- Why can't India have its own 'patriotic hackers'? (Comment) - Apr 11, 2010
Tags: attackers, backup systems, central intelligence agency, computer networks, cyber attack, department of justice, electric grid, federal bureau of investigation, hacker group, investigation fbi, keith alexander, limited power, national security agency, nsa, power grid, power outage, power supply, private sessions, wall street journal, xinhua