Guwahati molestation prime accused surrenders in VaranasiJuly 23rd, 2012 - 8:00 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, July 23 (IANS) The prime accused in the Guwahati molestation case has surrendered to police in Varanasi city, police said Monday.
Uttar Pradesh Police officials said Amarjyoti Kalita, who surrendered at the Lanka police station in the city, was not arrested as the crime was not committed within their jurisdiction, but the Guwahati police have been informed and a picture sent to them.
Kalita, whom Assam Police dubbed as the main culprit in the July 9 molestation of a teenaged girl right on the busiest road of the state’s main city, was on the run since the incident, though the other 12 accused had been arrested. A TV journalist, accused of instigating the mob, is also in police custody.
- Guwahati molester surrenders in Varanasi, Assam police to leave for UP (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Guwahati molestation prime accused being brought back to Assam - Jul 24, 2012
- Ex-news channel journalist arrested in Guwahati molestation case (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- TV journalist held for Guwahati molestation case (Second Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Assam molestation: Channel editor says he'll quit - Jul 17, 2012
- Molestation row: Gogoi asks channel to clarify stand - Jul 19, 2012
- Gogoi assures help to molestation victim, issue rocks assembly (Roundup) - Jul 17, 2012
- Guwahati molestation: Assam police yet to visit Odisha - Jul 16, 2012
- Assam molestation case: Gogoi hopeful of early arrest of culprits - Jul 16, 2012
- Guwahati molestation case: Prime accused gets bail - Sep 13, 2012
- Molestation case: Police nabs two more - Jul 15, 2012
- 'Molestation played out to shake Tarun Gogoi government' - Jul 17, 2012
- NCW chairperson meets Gogoi on molestation case - Jul 18, 2012
- NCW chairperson meets Gogoi on molestation case (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Four nabbed for molesting a teen-ager in Guwahati - Jul 13, 2012
Tags: assam police, city police, culprit, girl right, guwahati, jurisdiction, kalita, mob, molestation case, police custody, police officials, police station, teenaged girl, tv journalist, uttar pradesh police, varanasi lucknow