Gus Logie appointed Canada coach for second timeJune 30th, 2012 - 5:08 pm ICT by IANS
Toronto (Canada), June 30 (IANS/CMC) Former West Indies batsman Gus Logie has been appointed Canada’s coach for the second time.
The 51-year-old, also a former Windies head coach, first led the side during the 2003 Cricket World Cup in South Africa and will take up his new duties from the upcoming ICC Intercontinental Cup and World Cricket League Championship in July.
“Many thanks to Cricket Canada for giving me the opportunity to work with the many talented players within the Canadian system,” said the Trinidadian, who played 52 Tests and 158 One-Day Internationals for the West Indies.
“Our vision is to produce in Canada a ‘Championship Team’ with technical skill and the mental and tactical awareness to compete at the highest level by developing the mind to win, the will to succeed, and the confidence to make it happen.”
Cricket Canada Vice President and High Performance Manager, Vimal Hardat praised Logie’s appointment, noting that he was confident the experienced coach could take the team forward.
“Gus is a true champion who has a habit of winning as a member of the champion West Indies team in 80s and as a coach, by leading West Indies to the 2004 Champions Trophy,” Hardat said.
“We have huge confidence in Gus and his coaching capabilities. He comes in with great knowledge and we will give him time to settle in with his ideas to help us achieve the target of being a leading associate country.”
Logie has built up an impressive resume as coach, leading West Indies to the capture of the 2004 Champions Trophy in England.
He also coached Bermuda and led them to the 2007 World Cup in the Caribbean and more recently, headed up the Jamaica national team.
- Lara, Yorke lift Man United to celebrity title - May 29, 2012
- Windies assistant coach Williams appointed national selector - Dec 09, 2011
- World T20: Gibson upbeat on Windies chances - Sep 11, 2012
- Good show in England will set tone for India series: Sammy - Sep 16, 2011
- West Indies on right track: Head coach Gibson - Aug 10, 2012
- Williams back as Trinidad and Tobago coach - Jun 06, 2012
- Batting great Gordon Greenidge wins golf tourney - Dec 09, 2011
- Bangladesh seek confidence booster ahead of World T20 - Sep 05, 2012
- Windies, Australia to size up in Beausejour after dramatic tie - Mar 23, 2012
- Gayle's return to Windies squad stalled - Mar 20, 2012
- Rejuvenated Dwayne Bravo eyes Test return - Jul 05, 2012
- Windies beat Zimbabwe by six wickets to reach quarters - Aug 17, 2012
- Sammy backs Gibson's approach to team building - May 25, 2012
- Hamilton eyes victories in Abu Dhabi, Brazil - Nov 06, 2011
- 'Conspiracy to get rid of Gayle, Sarwan' - Dec 11, 2011
Tags: batsman, canada coach, champions trophy, cricket world cup, day internationals, head coach, impressive resume, intercontinental cup, jamaica national team, performance manager, tactical awareness, talented players, target, technical skill, toronto canada, trinidadian, true champion, west indies team, windies, world cricket league