Guruvayoor priests protest colleagues’ suspension over cigarette in prasadamOctober 18th, 2008 - 5:32 pm ICT by IANS
Guruvayoor (Kerala) Oct 18 (IANS) Junior priests in Kerala’s famed Sree Krishna Guruvayoor temple Saturday decided to delay the preparation of prasadam (holy offering) to protest the suspension of four of their colleagues following the discovery of a cigarette stub in the prasadam. Four junior priests (keezhu shantis) were suspended Friday after they were held responsible for the presence of the cigarette stub in the prasadam, which was found by a devotee from Bangalore Oct 11.
Everyday at 5 a.m devotees queue up to receive the prasadam, which is kept ready by keezhu shantis by 4.30 a.m. However, the distribution of the holy offering was delayed by about 90 minutes Saturday since the priests took an inordinate amount of time to prepare the prasadam to protest the suspension of their colleagues.
“Since the keezhu shantis were on a ‘go slow’ mode there was a delay of 90 minutes. They demanded that we certify all the raw material they use to make the prasadam and revoke the suspension of the four junior priests. We agreed to the former demand but not the latter,” temple official P.A. Ashok Kumar told IANS.
“There are about 178 keezhu shantis who are drawn from 13 nampoothiri (Brahmin) families and do the work of preparing the food in the temple. They are not employees but are here on the basis of hereditary rights. They are given a share of the collection made out of the sale of food items,” Kumar added.
- Al Qaeda threat to Kerala shrines, Jayalalithaa? - Jul 27, 2011
- Kerala temple's riches state assets: CPI-M - Sep 19, 2011
- Sabarimala temple averse to suggestion on widening steps, door - Jul 17, 2010
- Single largest gathering of women at Kerala festival - Mar 07, 2012
- Airport in the offing near Guruvayoor temple - Oct 30, 2010
- Coimbatore priests offer holy offering through mouth-to-mouth contact - Mar 01, 2010
- Sabarimala earnings surge - Dec 04, 2011
- Crowds throng Kerala temples on Vishu - Apr 15, 2011
- Fun and fervour mark Vishu in Kerala - Apr 14, 2012
- When Lord Indra answered the call of Vedas (With Images) - Apr 15, 2011
- Shirdi's Sai Baba temple goes green with solar steam cooking system - Oct 20, 2010
- India celebrates Mahashivratri with fasting and prayers (Roundup) - Mar 02, 2011
- Guruvayur temple saw 198 weddings in a single day (Feature With Image) - Sep 21, 2010
- Elephant processions, percussion orchestras mark Kerala festivals (Letter from Kerala) - May 12, 2012
- Court bans devotees' entry to Kalighat 'garbha griha' - Apr 20, 2012